Is it okay if I approach my neighbour to let her know I babysit? ?

My neighbour recently had a baby. We don’t really speak but she lives right across the street from me and I’d like to let her know I’m a babysitter. My only concern; she might think it’s creepy that some kid she doesn’t know is asking to watch her child. Do you think she would perceive it this way? If not what should I say when I speak with her? 

Note: I’ve seen her walking with the baby, so that’s how I know she’s had one. My mom also told me when she was expecting.  

Best Answer

As others have said here, you should welcome her and talk about the baby. However, hold off on talking about babysitting this time out. Then once you develop a friendship with her, then you can open up about babysitting. I would personally not feel comfortable with someone who just walks up (neighbor or not) to ask about babysitting my newborn. If you don't have any experience at all, the suggestion here is that you practice with older children first, babysitting for those families who you are familiar with. Good luck.

• Elizabeth2 months agoReport

Do you think she might find the first conversation strange? We’ve lived near each other for quite awhile, and I am much younger than her. How would should I that convo?

Yes, I would find it weird if a neighbor kid just showed up at my door and offered sitting services when we'd barely, if ever, talked before. Talk about a "hey I'm just talking to you so I can make money" vibe.

If you wanted to offer services, you would get to know her first. No responsible parent is going to just hire you without knowing you anyway. Are you at least 16? Licensed to drive? Certified in First Aid/CPR? Able to provide references?

Try to start a casual conversation with her instead of directly asking, wait till you see her walking past or something and just say a friendly hi. You could make a few comments on the kid, as long as they dont come across as creepy and then find the right moment and tell her about your babysitting.

• Marie

No I don’t think they find it creepy at all. As a parent I think  they would be appreciative. I would introduce my self start up a conversation. I think it’s a nice gesture 

Congratulate the mom on the baby. Tell her you babysit, offering training certificate(s), and references from your families.

• Marnie

yeah she'll prob think its creepy because you don't talk.

• God

Welcome her to the neighborhood. Tell her you babysit. Also give her a list of people you have babysat for along with contact information.