Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 1 month ago

My 12 year old niece keeps telling me my nose looks like a witch's nose so I don't feel like being around her anymore, what should I do?

I'm  middle aged, but she is making me feel hurt and self-conscious. I admit my nose is probably bigger than the average woman, it kind of looks like Jennifer Love Hewitt's nose in profile, but I never thought her nose looked bad. I feel like I'm  being immature by trying not to be around her, but I can't help it because she constantly says it and even cried when she said she hopes her nose doesn't get big like mine!

• john
    Best Answer

It sounds to me like she gets some kind of satisfaction out of hurting you, so don't let yourself act hurt. BUT tell her, "Susie, we need to sit down and talk about this. It's not polite to keep pointing out people's flaws--it only hurts the person and it makes YOU sound a bad person--that you are someone who says mean things about other people--because if your friends hear you say something disrespectful about another person then they'll think, "If Suzie can say things like that about other people, then she might start saying bad things about me too." And her friends will lose trust in her and her friendships will weaken. Not worth it! A good person cultivates good relatioships, she doesn't destroy them.

And ask her, "Why do you keep telling me my nose is like a witch's nose anyway, Susie? It doesn't accomplish anything, only hurts other people's feelings and it only makes YOU sound like a bad person because it means you're a disrespectful person. So why do you do it? In the long run it hurts YOU more than me!

If she continues to do it, lay down the law (or have her mother do it--which her mother or father should already have done). Have her mother say, "Don't you ever talk like that to your aunt again! I won't have my children grow up being rude!

If she STILL continues to do it, then just turn and walk away from her FIRMLY. Don't act weak and hurt. Let her see that you're tired of her childishess. If it comes to this say "No, I'm not driving you to your friends (or buying her ice cream, whatever you do) because I'm tired of the insults." Let her realize she has something to lose if she keeps on with her bad manners--even if it means unplugging the TV and locking the plug so she can't turn it on again..

Ugh, I feel your pain. I have stained teeth from taking tetracycline as a kid.....and kids these days don't seem to realize I already know it!  @john gave you the best advice, though.  I can't beat that, except to add that maybe it would be good if her mom or dad had that talk with her.  Coming from someone else might add to the realization that the stuff she says about people changes the way people see *her*--and not just the subject of her comments.  

Btw,. Do you ever go on the Chive??  It's a website that mostly caters to young dudes, with funny memes, hot women, and product placements.  I go there for the memes, but recently they ran a photo series of hot women with larger/kinky noses. Which didn't surprise me because I've already met a couple guys before who like that Greek profile.  It's a thing!  

Is this suppose to be an insult? I'm confused, all the witches I've met are hot.

My son does the same thing and now I’m convinced I’ve a big nose

I call bullsh it on this one.  No kid it that obsessed about noses yet.

tell her you dont like to be treated that way and that shes immature for insulting an adult

Say to her:  (I have a different nose,it actually gives me a character in a special way, what do you have? you have an ugly soul, and I'm not going to point out about your weird parts of your body and face. you know why? because I have the character, the nice soul, and the wisdom. but you have none of them. and don't let me start with your personality. If I say what I see in you, you may have a horrible break down and make your pathetic self esteem even worse and Um not going to do that for your parents. So I'm gonna stick with smiling at your face when you say your shallow comments on the stupidest things and also laugh about your stupidity because you can't even spell something smart.)

and you do that friend.

• john
      3 weeks agoReport

I agree with Kayla. Less would be more in this case.

Tell her how rude she's being and that you don't speak to people you love that way. If she doesn't stop talk to her parents.

Put her in her place, tell her she is rude and you don't appreciate her comment etc. Then refrain from being friendly with her .

• Frank

Well let's have some pictures.

How very rude. Talk to her mother.