Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

can i use carb clean to clean out the inside of my motorcyles engine?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes.  It should not be dirty inside. as it is mainly blow by carbon. Black.  You could also use BRAKE KLEEN.

I use paint thinner solvent like odorless paint thinner or varsol(the stinky version) I have also washed in diesel fuel to wash of GEAR OIL. Because of cost.

Can't use water...so dem is the choices.

NOT GASOLINE.  That is explosive stuff...even the old stuff will blow you to kingdom come.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, you can. After assembly, change the oil after 50 miles.

• No, all you'll wind up doing is moving deposits around from places where they are innocuous to places where they will cause damage.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sure. Get that cheap Brake Cleaner ($2.49) from a dollar store. Safest to use the non flammable stuff.

I have a rusty gearbox, been out in the weather. Debating on getting it sandblasted or just using HCl then oil.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Assuming you've got it apart and are not diluting the oil with it, sure.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. It will be an expensive exercise and you want to make sure the engine is completely drained and dry before you try it, and then make sure it has all evaporated before reassembly.

• Anon1 month agoReport

It will evaporate Long before he even gets cases together.

• 1 month ago

I wouldn't use carb cleaner.

I've used brake cleaner for small area clean ups.

Just go to Advance Auto and buy engine degreaser.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Anon1 month agoReport

Engine degreaser requires water clean up. a No-No inside a motor,U know That. Use that Carb or Brake cleaner, no residue.

• 1 month ago

If it is disassembled and you're rebuilding it you can certainly use carb cleaner to blow away Grease you certainly don't want to put it into the oil pan or directly into the engine except short bursts into the carburetor.

• Enigma
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Clean the inside as in cylinders? If that's it then mix a little methol ethol ketone and toluene with some premium gas and take it for a short spin.

• 1 month ago

No you should use doctor pepper. Trust me it works. Well at least it works to clean out the sink but motorcycles are just like sinks right?

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

I have SEEN  guys use Coke to remove rust. Works. I'd rather personally use hydrochloric  acid  or sandblast.  Using gun blue expands steel and iron,  shafts will not fit without some  turning.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.