Why are vegans and environmentalists so preachy?

I should say that I do believe they are campaigning for two very important things. I am reducing my waste considerably and trying to go vegetarian (which is harder than I thought being a student - there aren t many quick, easy recipes out there). However, when I am trying to do research on what else I can do all I can find are very preachy, patronizing people telling me if I don t do this, this and this I m not doing it properly, I am a murderer and the world is going to end. Why does this seem to always be the case? Could anyone point me in the direction of somewhere not so scary?

"Why are vegans and environmentalists so preachy?"

The reason why SOME vegans and SOME environmentalists are so "preachy," is they've found something that they believe is a legitimate cause to get behind. The real problem is that they usually don't see themselves as being "preachy." However there are many who are one or even both, who aren't that way. They've generally come to the realization, that while we as humans a a part of the problem, we're not nearly as much as some claims we are, this is especially true where the environment is concerned. They have either by self the election of advancement of their education, or via self education, come to the realization that man only makes up a small fraction of the cause of the climatic change, that we're seeing. This applies of course to those vegans who has realized, that there's no such thing as a one diet fits all diet. However this is the type we rarely ever see or hear much from. They're the ones working quietly in the background, yet they're effectively in helping to make changes, that can help alleviate some of the issues. Although I'm neither a vegan nor a vegetarian, I've come across such types over the span of my life.

However the whole being "preachy," isn't something that's just the domain of vegans, and environmentalists. It's something you're going to find in plenty of other places where you have people. Religion/atheism, politics, sports, music/entertainment, and in many other things as well.

• Megumi

They are mindless fanatics like religious people. All of them believe absurd lies and try to shove them down everyone's throat. Preachiness is a trait of mindless fanatics.

Look we are not looking for solutions here. We just want to call people out so that we can feel high and mighty. We want to fly 30 of our private jets to a climate meeting to show everyone how much we care about the planet and unnecessary waste. We want to go to Starbucks and drink our vegan late in a mug that we bought while we look down on everyone else who is drinking from disposable cups when we could have just made coffee at home with a reusable filter. But we don't want to do that because we like the idea of convenience and being smug about others who also use convenience. Really what should happen is that everyone else should change so that we activists can keep doing the same thing and pretending that we are making a difference. What part of that don't you understand? I am part of the solution not part of the problem. ***inhales large whiff of my own fart*** "Ah, smells good to me"

• Louis

IMHO, preachy vegan is a bit of a myth. Much larger in people's minds than IRL. Just take this Yahoo answers page for instance. None of the vegans here are preachy. 

Anyway, you have come to the right place for advice. I can give you some and if you just ask more specific questions you will get more specific answers. 

So it seems like your most immediate issue is a source of quick easy (and cheap) vegan recipes. 

I always like to recommend books first. And PETA has a great book, PETA's Vegan College Cookbook. You might even find it used at the college book store. It has some great recipes. and lots of the recipes are cheap. but a lot of it does rely on processed vegan alternatives. they are readily available and convenient but they are not cheap. As a companion, you might also add some of PETA's Vegan recipes for under $3. (link below). 

One of my favorite vegan chefs is Sam from "It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken"

She has a website and it includes 50 easy vegan recipes.  (link below). She also has a YouTube channel and if you like video instructions you are set. 

Speaking of YouTube channels, one of my favorites is the "Cheap Lazy Vegan". (link below)

So that is 3 links. enough for you to get a good start. 

• Megumi
      3 weeks agoReport

videos that arouse hysteria in naïve people, so that htye cannot be reasonable and objective about diet.

It’s human nature to want to spread the word to those around us when we find an interest in something we hope others will enjoy learning about as much as we do. It’s obnoxious, but shouldn’t be taken personally and just understood as something they want to shout aloud to the world.

• Megumi
      3 weeks agoReport

I tell them to stay away from me. I do not want to hear their irrational ideas.

They're worried about life on Earth. There's no place to escape to, this is it. If we don't change up now, most species of animals (including us) will go extinct.

It sucks when people yell at each other but I totally get why some get so anxious and irritable that they end up doing it. Even though it's not effective in changing people.

I can't point you anywhere else because most vegans and environmentalists don't have books or web pages or youtube channels because most vegans and environmentalists keep to themselves while the loudest ones are the most irritable.

• M'aiq The liar
      3 weeks agoReport

You're part of the problem and I'm sorry I don't know how to make you stop hurting yourself. I have nothing left to say to anyone who doesn't yet realize the oceans are warming.

Because they are right.

not all of them are like that

• Megumi
      3 weeks agoReport

Too many of them are like that. Do not be so naïve.