How can I upgrade my desktop from Windows 7 to 10.?

Our computer tech at work told me how to upgrade my home desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It was going through the change fine and then suddenly it said that it cannot upgrade to Windows 10 because my Windows 7 is not genuine. I bought this CPU refurbished on ebay about 3 years ago. Now when I turn it on it keeps saying it's not genuine and needs a product key. I do not have one. What can I do?

• don r
    Best Answer

You can buy a product key from microsoft and go from there.

• I bought a product key from ebay for like $7. Put that in to my my Windows 7 genuine. Then I was able to install Windows 10. Thanks.

OK. I found the product key on the back, but the product key says Wndows XP.

• George

Speak to your IT tech who has all the answers!

Buy a legitimate win 10 key and do a fresh install.

Back up all important data beforehand.

• Enigma

The product key should be on the bottom of the PC. A Windows product key is a 25-character code used to activate Windows. It looks like this: PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Sounds like someone reinstalled the software and didn't enter the product key after the install to activate Windows or the product key was from another unit and if that's the case then it's no good. Or the "Windows 7"  operating system that was installed is rogue and if that's the case then you were taken. I suggest investing in a new laptop with Windows 10 already installed or think about getting a Chromebook instead. Amazon has great deals and plenty of choices.

You're going to need a Windows 7 certificate of authenticity a coa that's the license tag that's usually on the side of the computer that says Windows 7 on it. You should still be able to download the Windows 10 media installation tool from Microsoft and make yourself an 8 gig USB installer. Locate a Windows 7 COA. Boot your computer from the Windows 10 installer used Windows 7 license number when you're asked to put in a key for Windows 10. If you're going to install Windows 10 64-bit home you'll need a Windows 7 home key if you're going to install pro you need a pro key. Before you do this copy any files that you want to save onto an external hard drive or a thumb drive. When you do your Windows 10 installation totally delete all the partitions and let Windows 10 create new partitions the Windows 7 key from a genuine COA. Will activate Windows 10. This positively works.

Should still be able to use the Windows 7 even when the non genuine message appears.

Theres software in the Windows start menu called "System Restore" you can try to use as well.

As Windows is booting, hit F8 (keep hitting it, or time it right) and you will get a boot menu. You should be able to boot to a System Restore in there somewhere. Hopefully, it did a restore point before it upgraded.

recycle your old computer and buy a new one

Okay, so what are the specs?