Can a past employee refuse to mail a paycheck?

I worked for IHOP for about a week. And the kitchen was so nasty I could not stay. 

So my paycheck sat there for 4 weeks and they said nothing to me.

When I asked about it they texted me said it's been there for weeks and I asked them to mail it. I work over 120 miles away 60 hours. 

The lady asked for my address. 

2 weeks later I texted her back and she said I have to go get it. 

It's now been 6 weeks I have called them. Called the corporate owner and they refused to answer and told me I'm horrasing them. 

Can they refuse to mail it ? Advice. 

15 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    They have absolutely no obligation to mail it to you.  It must be available for you to pick up and that is all.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Stop calling.

    Send one written letter by certified mail, return receipt requesting, without calling.

    If that doesn't work, then file a claim or complaint with the state.

    Do not call the employer again.

  • 1 month ago

    It sounds like someone at your local IHOP just wants to stick it to you. I suggest calling HR at the headquarters office of IHOP and ask why the check can't be mailed.

  • 1 month ago

    Nothing prevents them from mailing it.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    did you get fired from IHOP?  the manager kicked you out?   I sense you had a drama when you were working there.   That might be the reason they refuse to give you a favor. 

    • Avery1 month agoReport

      No. I was a new hire. I did say it was not a clean kitchen.... 

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Refuse to mail it, yes they can. But they have not refused to pay you, all you have to do is pick it up. But I don't understand why they will not mail it.

  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    They have a check ready for you to pickup as I assume is their normal check distribution system. Why are you special and require a unique distribution system?

  • 1 month ago

    If you have a small claims court , threaten them with that referring to you previous e-mail correspondence with them on the matter of the owed money

  • 1 month ago

    Probably not, but your next course of action would be small claims court.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Email them and tell them you are calling in x date to collect it and if it is not paid you will take further advice about withholding pay

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.