Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Is being a truck driver a good job for a high school dropout?

I’m almost 24. I currently as a register and I’m quitting. 

I left high school as my junior year came to a close. I left because one of my parents passed away and I was too upset to go back. 

Is getting a CDL a good idea?

How sad for you that no one from school or from the rest of your family made any effort to help you get through your very real grief after the loss of your parent. Bereavement and loss are things that school officials like counselors and teachers are trained to help students with. I'm sorry the system let you down.

Being a truck driver is a lucrative career, but it isn't without its drawbacks. You can expect to work very long hours, and spend days or even weeks on the road, depending on where and for whom you work. There will be times when you'll end up being stranded far from home, either because of weather or because your truck broke down or decided not to start. And truckers spend much of their time in cheap motels with minimal amenities when they aren't working.

There may also be times when you'll be expected to haul hazardous cargo, such as propane, for example, or gasoline, or industrial chemicals. You may get asked to haul animals like chickens or cattle to the slaughterhouses for processing. If you're the squeamish type, that may not be for you. Most truckers usually belong to unions of one kind or another, so you will have that to deal with as well. And truckers are expected to know how to do things like minor repairs to their vehicles, and to be familiar with traffic rules in every state they travel through. Yes, they make good money, but they work hard for it.

• NONAME

its not...but its not a bad job...its just not good...no matter what your level of education

being a highschool dropout doesn't mean there should be a boundary of job options you can still go back and do the subjects you want at things like overnight college, but if you do want to be a truckdriver then go for it. no one can stop you

• y

It is for the next decade or so, but it also is a tough industry to make it in.

Self driving tech is moving fairly quickly at this point an done of it's first uses will be, transportation.So long term, you'll most likely need to find another career. So use the next few years wisely.

• Brian

If you think you'd like doing that, then go ahead.

• audrey

I was married to a truck driver for 20 years and my son is now a driver. It pays well, the only drawback is you're not home much. Good luck.

• Thomas

First of all, I am very sorry for your mother or father’s passing. They’re in a happy place where they’ll feel ZERO pain and long live happiness with their ancestors who died.

Yes CDL is a great job. However, in case you’re interested in resuming your education, you should take the GED tests and pass them so you’ll go to community college and transfer that way.

If not, then yeah being a truck driver is a great living. The exams aren’t hard, just study the booklet and do practice questions online. They’re the same questions and answers you’ll encounter when taking the general knowledge test.

Yes, being a truck driver pays quite well.

i dont see anything wrong with doing that