Is it safe to gap used spark plugs, or should you only gap brand new spark plugs?

• zipper

Sure is a good thing to do!  I worked on a lot of old tractors, cars and so on, if the plug was still good I always re gaped them!

• arther

its a waste of time just replace the plugs the gap will be correct when you get them out of the box.

I can get 60,000 from a set of plugs i bead blast the Plugs then reset them about every 8/10,000 in fact i have a set of 6 already sandblasted  and reset I can even Grind my Points to extend the Life

I tried 2 electronic devices and even purchased a new 3 ohm coil so i did know what i was doing Back to points for reliability

even my BMW has 2 sets of hall effect so if one fails just unplug and Plug in new one

The owner's manual calls for gapping at .024. The Bosch plugs call for gap of .032. so i change new plugs to .024 inch

I wouldn't mess around regaping old spark plugs. Just put a set of Iridium spark plugs in. They come pre-gaped and last for 100,000 miles..

Go to advance Auto and ask what brand OEM spark plugs came from the factory.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Yeah. In the old days, we had a little bench top sand blaster for the plugs. Blast them, blow them clean with compressed air, gap 'em and screw ;em back in. They wore out quicker with leaded gas.

• don r

Conventional plugs can be cleaned, filed square and gapped, until they're too worn out for there to be enough electrode to gap. New platinum or Iridium plugs should not be gapped, and if you find them to be mis adjusted, exchange them where you bought them for plugs that are not damaged.

Safe.  Obviously, you have NEVER done this before so find out how to do it.

• Dimo

New, used, who cares -- when you have the plugs out, you should check/re-gap them.

• Robin

most modern spark plugs are surface discharge

Safe in what way? There is no danger to life in gapping old spark plugs.

The may not work as well as new ones but that should not result in any danger unless all four stop working simultaneously.

• Drizzy3 weeks agoReport

Danger as in heat cycled metal being bended. Wasn't sure if that was ok or not.