My dreamstation cpap machine is brand new and set on auto with a min of 6 & a max of 10, but it's only reaching 8.5 what can I do?

My mask has been fitting at around 90-100 with the 3 days I've had it. (I have it down now and make sure it's pretty tight and on well) I've called my provider who is talking about changing machines, but I think that is jumping the gun a bit. I have severe Central sleep apnea and I'm only reaching around 8.5 when the machine is set to go up to 10. I have Opti Start ON and EZ start OFF. I am using the humidifier but wouldn't think this would matter. Does anyone have any tips or info? I'm pretty upset about this b/c I REALLY want this to work I'm so tired!! 

I can't believe I did not add the reason I'm upset is b.c. I am still having tons of apneas a night. So that's why I don't understand what's going on.

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!! I HAD A FAULTY ELECTRICAL OUTLET IN MY BEDROOM! CHANGED MY DREAMSTATION CPAP AROUND TO A NEW OUTLET AND MY PRESSURE STAYED A SOLID 10 ALL NIGHT. NEXT TASK IS MOVING UP MY PRESSURE. SO HAPPY I SOLVED THIS! HOPEFULLY IT HELPS SOMEONE ELSE OUT IN THE FUTURE!!

• Jason

"I have severe Central sleep apnea "

This is the crucial piece of information. They have you on the wrong kind of machine.

CPAP alone cannot treat central apnea. It only treats obstructive apnea. In obstructive apnea, the problem is that the muscles of the upper airway relax too much during sleep. The airway closes, you stop breathing, and your brain wakes up again which increases the muscle tone and opens the airway. CPAP works by using air pressure to hold open that soft, floppy upper airway.

Central sleep apnea is entirely different. In central apnea, your brain stops sending signals telling you to breathe. It is NOT a problem of a closed airway that needs to be held open. It is the neurogenic drive to breathe that is stopping. Holding the airway open with pressure doesn't help because the problem isn't an airway that is closing. The problem is a brain that won't breathe.

The treatment for central apnea is BiPAP. BiPAP uses two levels of pressure; a baseline pressure that holds the airway open like CPAP, and then a second level of pressure that assists when you take a breath in. If you don't take a breath for a period of time, it delivers a breath for you. CPAP doesn't do that. That's why you're still having apneas -- your apneas aren't caused by your airway. They are caused by your brain and need to be treated with a machine that breathes for you, not just holds your airway open.

Talk to your doc. You need a different machine. Unfortunately, your doc should have known this to start when they diagnosed you with central apnea. The fact they did not leads me to believe you should find a different doc to manage your apnea. A doc who doesn't know the difference between obstructive and central apnea and why they have to be treated differently shouldn't be managing apnea.

Best wishes.

.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my master's in nursing

If it's only reaching 8.2, that may be the pressure you need to break through the obstruction. Another thought, unless your looking at history, if you are seeing the 8.2 then you are awake. While asleep, and your airway collapses, it may be reaching 10.

• .

I've used a Dreamstation CPAP machine since early Dec. of 2017 and it's all automatic. You should not have to change the settings.

• Courtney4 weeks agoReport

boy i feel like a horse's butt. I left out the most vital part of my question! I'm still having a lot of apneas. so like i explained to another commentor, I may have a mask issue or i'm doing something wrong. i should be reaching a 10 as many apnea as i'm having.

If it's an auto CPAP then it will only give you the pressure needed to stop the apnea. If your machine is only going to 8.5 you only need 8.5, extra pressure won't make any difference.

• Jason
      3 weeks agoReport

CPAP can't treat central apnea. That requires BiPAP.