Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Packing & Preparation · 1 month ago

What make the TSA open your luggages for an inspection ?

• MS
    Best Answer

Some are randomly selected. Some are pulled because they see something suspicious when scanned or they don't feel they can see everything they need to on the scan.

This has happened to me twice. Once it turned out I'd forgotten about a pair of scissors, another time I'd bought eight bars of nice soap as presents for my colleagues and to the security people it looked just like a big solid chunk of explosive. I had to unwrap the box and take out two random bars for them to sniff and be sure.

And before anyone starts on about racial profiling, I'm a white woman, in my early 60s at the time, in ordinary clothing and clearly a frequent traveller.

Anything that is a potential threat to the safety of commercial aircraft.

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
  • RICK

An odd shape on xray

You appearing nervous

Its just random

All 3 are possibilities

Some have things show up on the scan of the bag and others are randomly selected for visual inspection.

cant see through everything (dense white areas), odd shaped items, random checks,

Items that are in oddly shaped when x-rayed