what should i do with my media files on my windows 7 computer?

at some point, i'm going to get windows 10 put on a separate hard drive in the same computer i have now, a windows 7 desktop computer, so i have dual operating systems?

all my precious media files - music files and pictures, are all stored on this windows 7 desktop computer....but i have also backed most of them up by copying and pasting them to external hard drives................i want to know what i should do with all my media files long term, when support ends for windows 7 in january?

am i safe to leave them on my windows 7 computer? or should i move them all over to the new windows 10 operating system?

or should i just move them off windows 7 and onto an external drive, so my media files are on neither operating system?

what would be the best idea? - ideally, id like to keep my media files on my windows 7 computer.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Put them on USB Flash drives.

Windows 7 computer isn't going to blow up in January, Microsoft just isn't going to update it anymore! It is still going to work!

• Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

you can access them from Windows 10 or Windows 7, regardless of which drive you're booting from (as long as both drives are connected).

• David
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If your files are that precious you are going to need some sort of backup strategy preferably separate from your main computer. I would suggest considering an external hard drive stored offsite or maybe cloud storage solution. Whether or not you put the files on window 10, windows 7 you still need a separate storage solution in the event of fire flood hard drive failure etc etc.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The old win7 drive will be recognized as an additional drive and your precious media files will be accessed by win10 without you having to do anything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.