My 97 Corolla failed smog. Tune up done, cat conv & sensors replaced 2 yrs ago. What else should I check? Drive only 50+ miles a week.?

My 97 Corolla failed smog. Tune up done, cat conv & sensors replaced 2 yrs ago. What else should I check? Drive only 50+ miles a week.

WHAT NUMBERS ARE ON THE ODOMETER NOW?  How many miles has the car been driven to date? 

Tells me a lot more than the fact that NOW you are driving 50 miles a week because of your job.  It adds up, for you go shopping, and miscellaneous other activities so the car gets more miles.  And prior to this job you had a different job that you drove many MORE miles...or not.

It is a 97 or a 22 year old car.  Stuff wears out...or just gets old.  So now you need  a mechanic to actually look at it and fix it because it could be ANYTHING. 

It is something he has to feel or touch and get personal with and do tests...to figure out WHY YOU FAILED  Giving him the report card will help him in narrowing down the problem in short order.

Short time for him means Lower labor costs for you.  He can find out and price out what it will cost to fix(as he has a repair manual from A.S.E. that tell him how long each repair should take on this car.  He charges by the hour for his labor, so this is the time it takes.  He can add up all the stuff that needs work on and figure out how long it takes him.   Parts costs are EXTRA.  You wore them out so you pay for replacements.  It is pretty straight forward.

. This saves you from the unscrupulous so called mechanics that add on a few hundred(really they don't want the work so they add on much more so you leave them alone.  But some people don't shop around for a mechanic and are willing to pay the extra. Can't fix stupid...but will take the extra cash.

It is past the simple stuff to check.  Engines do wear out.  It could be something in there.

• John P

Driving only short distances can play havoc with catalytic converters.

• M.

What are the numbers?

Different causes have different results.

Do you have a Check Engine light on?

If yes, interrogate the ECM and get your trouble codes, and let us know what they are.

How many miles on the odometer?

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• M.
      4 weeks agoReport

https://education.seattlepi.com/causes-high-hydrocarbon-reading-during-smog-check-4653.html

MASS air flow sensor, air filter, fuel filter, eng temp sensor.. map sensor

• don r

Check the EGR. They coke up with carbon. The result is high NOx. You can clean it out with a bit of determination and a new gasket, or buy a new one for $$$.

• Cap'n. America
      4 weeks agoReport

Using a piece of old cable sheath on a drill can work most C out of one. Mine passed with choked EGR, anyway.

What are the codes?

• Ron

You find out exactly what readings on the smog test failed then figure out what repairs will fix that

Did you go to one of the few places that still sells leaded gas, in the past two years?

If you did, then you need a new catalytic converter.

Your car is a 1997?  It's an OBDII car, how is the smog check done?  Is it by checking to see if the I/M readiness has passed?  Or is done with a tail pipe sniffer?  If it's done with an exhaust sniffer, I would ask to find out emission was out of spec, and find out what causes that particular emission to be out of spec (It could be CO, NOx, HC).  You can also update your post and let us know what emission was out of spec.  If it is an I/M readiness test, ask what has failed.  It should be self explainatory, but you can ask the conditions for each test.  For example, an I/M readiness test may include testing the O2 heater.  But in hot climates, the car won't test the heater.  I live in Texas, and until it cools down, it is difficult to get a car to test the O2 heater, and it can be months for winter to come around.  I'm sorry I'm not much help, but without more information, I don't think that I, or anyone else can provide much good advice.  And I won't don't want to suggest that you throw money at a problem if I can't be reasonable certain that it will be of any benefit to you.

• .

This might be due to bad injectors or a faulty oxygen sensor, so you should check that.

Do you have a check engine light?

• Cap'n. America
      4 weeks agoReport

Is it Really, Ron? Dirty oil can allow contaminants to get into intake thru PCV valve and cause falsers.