Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 3 weeks ago

Must I go if I receive a wedding invitation ?

I know the guy who’s marrying. Good friend. We go way back, but I hate weddings. Lame parties full of pretentious people.

• 1 week ago

It is depends on condition at that time. But normally you should attend it.

You don’t have to, you’re not obligated to. But I’m sure your friend would feel happy you showed up to one his most important days of his life. If you’re not comfortable doing this, it’s fine, you could let him know. I’m sure that if he knows you, he’ll understand. ❤️

An invitation to any event is not a 'command' that you attend; no one can require that of you. You should, however, send a gift.

NO... NO LAW says you have to go or even answer the invitation.

• Jon
      1 week agoReport

Etiquette does require you to answer the invitation, even if you decline it.

you can choose to do whatever you want...go or not go....but since it is a long time friend...n u go way back..im sure he'd appreciate you attending his wedding, a very important time in his life and im sure he'd love having you there to celebrate with him*¬........... Go to his wedding..make his day special by having his long time good friend there..then perhaps after the dinner....u can slip out n go home* but i feel it would mean alot to him to have you there* (but again, tis up to you)

I get why you don't like weddings and I'm like you too I skip out on a lot of events but there is going to be a point in time you'll miss connecting to people and socializing. If you keep skipping milestones as important as a wedding people will eventually distance themselves for you. So if you're okay with losing that connection then yeah don't force yourself to do something you don't want to do. 

• GB

Just send a reply saying you will not be going. You don't have to give a reason.

• Jerry
      3 weeks agoReport

Not only "don't have to" but shouldn't.

If you do not feel like going, then you should not go, even if he is a "good friend". 

• GEEGEE

Of course not. It's an invitation and not a mandated event.

An invitation is not a subpoena. You are free to politely decline it. That's why you received an R.S.V.P. card with the invitation.

Accept or decline if you wish. But it's rude not to respond at all so please make sure you let them know whichever way you decide.

• BBG
      3 weeks agoReport

I really can't imagine wanting to receive a phone call in response to each invitation sent especially if having a large wedding. Cards are much more time efficient and can also be referred back to when finalizing counts.