How to get the bolt out for the front calipers on a 2002 Ford windstar?

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar and the front bolts that hold the caliper on are rusted and want back out.       Looking for information on how to get them out so I can replace the brake pads.      The bolt heads are so rust that you can't get a socket on them. 

They make special knurled impact sockets that you hammer onto the rounded out bolt heads. However you'd need to heat the thread area with an oxyacetylene torch red hot before trying to crack the bolt loose.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Two things to do. Soak the bolt heads with penetrating oil, like WD40. And buy an "easy out" from any hardware store. It is a drill bit with a reverse twist. You will need an electric drill with a reversing option. Drill into the center of the bolt head and it will twist out.

You need to go after the bigger bolts that hold the whole caliper on. Do not attempt to remove with an open end wrench. You need to get a socket on there. Use a file to clean. Then use a breaker bar. These bolts are tight for good reason.

So the bolts have "grown" from rust?  I suppose you could try taking a wire brush and try to "shave" the bolt down to size by scraping the rust off.  Another option could be to try to hammer the socket onto the bolt.  You may need to turn the wheel assembly to the left or to the right to make more space for swinging the hammer.  This only works on the front axle.  Last option I can think of... go to a pawn shop and buy a couple of sockets that are just once size larger than the bolt, so that it will fit on it, rust and all.  Scrap the rust off, as clean as you can get it, and cut a few slots into the sockets.  Use a flux core or MIG welder to weld the pawnshop sockets onto the bolts by welding through the cuts that you made on the socket.  If that doesn't work, consider removing the brake caliper mount (if there is one) and take the mount with the caliper attached to a machine shop to remove the bolts.  I'm out of ideas, I hope something here helps!

Thank you all for getting back to me. If I have to take it to a mechanic Pearl, don't have the money to pay them. But I may have to do just that if I can't find some way to get the bolt out.

• Scott

Spray the bolts with WD40 or some other penetrating lubricant.

maybe you can have a mechanic work on them