do i own the rights to a single short story published in a literary journal?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

That depends on your contract. Only the publisher can tell you for sure.

• “I know you have heard ‘thou shall not commit murder’ but I say if you are even angry at your brother without cause it is the same as murder.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Did you or the journal put a copyright on it?

• LAN
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

You can copyright own work. A magazine can buy the rights to a piece and cover it with their own copy right. What about that don't you get?

• 4 weeks ago

Assuming you wrote the story (you didn't say), then it depends on the contract you signed with the journal. Usually you retain the copyright, but they have exclusive distribution rights for a specified amount of time - six months to a year, normally. That means you're not allowed to publish the story anywhere else in any medium for that amount of time. After that, you can do whatever you want with it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Assuming that you are the author who submitted it to them, they usually stipulate in the contract that they own the rights, so once it is published it is theirs, not yours. Read the terms.

• Tina
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

That is most unusual. A magazine usually stipulates that the author will not publish the story anywhere else for periods between six and twelve months, but usually makes an exception in the case of 'year's best anthologies' and they don't own the story in perpetuity.

• 4 weeks ago

depends on if you published it

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That depends on what you sold to the journal. Some buy all rights; others buy just the right to publish first.

• 4 weeks ago

Hell, why not go the whole hog? Write to the publishers and tell them you own the journal itself. They'll vacate the business immediately and you'll be rolling in cash in no time.

• 4 weeks ago

You need to read the contract that you agreed to when you sent your short story to the literary journal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.