How do you know what notes/chords go together when writing music.?

• Bob

They all go together 

If your a writer then you choose

Personally the best approach is multiple melodies which come together and choose your chords for you, then your creativity is focused on the actual melodies instead which is going to be more exploratory than chord and scale approach

Well, you need to know music theory first. That will tell you about keys and scales and all that fun stuff. After you know the basics, you can get in to writing your own songs. In the end, music is an art. You do what you want.

Learning that notes in the melody and chords in the harmony go together IS Music Theory, and a fairly early step. Sounds like you have been fooling around for a long time, but have not ever been properly taught. Take a class, take lessons, and learn what you need. No, as a career their teacher I am not going to true you into YouTube - far too much junk there for you to find what you need. But a good live teacher can find that easily.

• Tony B

Well, basically, from being able to play the instrument you're using, having a reasonable “ear” and knowing what it is you want. There're usually elements of trial and error, patience and experience involved too.

I don't think this will be a helpful answer but it's not something you can simply “tell” someone how to do. It's something that's learnt over time.

You're putting the cart before the horse. First you need to learn to play an instrument and along with it you need to learn music theory. At that point you can start to consider writing music. It's not going to happen overnight but it's worth the effort. Good luck.

• jeff666p1 month agoReport

But I'm coming to the same thing being frustrated by not understanding how to mix notes and chord properly. Are you going to help?

Your most common 3 chord combos are.......

GCD

GAD

EAD

EAB

GCF

In a variety of combinations and bar lengths.

You need to learn some music theory. Good luck

Okay, I got your comment under my answer, and I'm a bit late back with this. But, music theory can seem absolutely impossible to understand at first, it's hard to wrap your head around. You need to understand scales, scale degrees, and how all that fits together. If you are just starting out, possibly, you could get a keyboard, because you really do need an instrument. It is better if you have a teacher as well to get started.

It can take years, and I cant really advise in a few words how it all happens, and give you a path to follow, or tell you where the best place is to start, it's different for everybody. Things happens, understandings come along, and it all takes time. Do lots of research if you can't understand something, and find a good teacher.

• jeff666p1 month agoReport

Theres alot of theory. Could you point me in the right direction. I'm asking on her because I can't figure it out on my own