Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 4 weeks ago

Since I did not go through withdrawals when I stopped drinking, does this mean I Am NOT an alcoholic? ?

I am a 115 lb female 

For about 10 months I drank between 1 and 2 fifths of vodka per day.  I was throwing up and pooping blood daily by the end of it.  Over the course of a year I brought it down to a half bottle of vodka per day.  Then I took a temp job where I lived on site for 9 weeks and had virtually no access to alcohol besides the occasional time I snuck out after hours.

I did not go threw withdrawals so does that mean I was not an alcoholic?

• Huh?

Not necessarily. It just means you weren't physically dependent on alcohol, you could be psychologically addicted. However, if you were able to cut down your drinking so much without any cravings you might not be an addict.

Anyone that is in this position "For about 10 months I drank between 1 and 2 fifths of vodka per day. I was throwing up and pooping blood daily by the end of it." is an alcoholic. Withdrawals have nothing to do with being an indicator of alcoholism.

You're still an alcoholic. You will always be an alcoholic.

No. You’re definitely an alcoholic. You didn’t go through withdrawals because alcohol isnt a physical addiction, it’s a mental one, so you wouldn’t go through trembling, paranoia or cold because it’s not an addictive substance, you just got addicted to it. And you shouldn’t drink ever again because you clearly have an addictive personality and you’ll end up right back where you were

• Andy C
      4 weeks agoReport

It's almost funny how wrong this is, but there's a kernel of truth. It certainly belies most people's opinion that an alcoholic is one purely by choice, and they choose not to so they must be immune from that disease (alcoholism).

It's usually a mix of chemical and psychological dependency.

• Andy C

Quite the opposite. The reason why you drank so much is what most people think makes an alcoholic.

I passed most tests for alcoholism, yet I was hospitalized due to my withdrawal. I can admit that even though I never fit the bill for an alcoholic, I still was one.

My dependency was almost exclusively biochemical whereas yours was almost exclusively psychological.

Different ends of the spectrum.