Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

*Tenant Issue? If you rent out a room in a house you manage, and you also live there, would you consider it any type of threat to you if?

after you text the tenant that he owes you 2 days of late fees, and he responds via texts that he has been crying a long time on the bus and with a question such as ... "Do you want him dead?" -- Would you consider that a possible threat against you, for someone to state that to you? Why or Why not? And what would you do about it, legally?

No that is in no way a threat to you. They are threatening to hurt themselves not you. This is a melodramatic person with a severe metal problem.

Notices for nonpayment need to be on paper. You will need to properly serve them in compliance with your state laws in order to evict this psycho.

Do you want WHO dead? Your question makes no sense, and I would never text a bill due, no matter what the amount. Have the sense to bill him properly.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

That is not a threat, it's an attempt to make you feel sorry for him and let go of the late fees.

I;d evict him if he does not pay

I don't think that I'd consider it a threat, but I do think it would merit a sit down conversation about expectations and their behavior. A successful roomshare depends on people being civil and behaving like adults. That's not happening right now, and it could be for a lot of reasons.

At some point, what should have been a business relationship has turned into something far less professional. That's not ok. Serious boundary setting is in order and, if boundaries can't be set/maintained, it's in everyone's best interest to end the roomshare. Tenant needs to move out and find something within their means, landlord needs to do a better job of screening people prior to move-in.

again, do you mean the tenant is asking if the landlord wants the tenant dead over a late fee?

its a sign of an irrational person who could be a threat to himself or others.

if he makes a threat against himself, he can be hospitalized. if he makes a threat against another person, he can be jailed...and will be out of the house for that period.....but your word alone is not good enough....and the text itself is not a threat.

• Maxi

I would consider the 'landlord' to have issues in not speaking to the 'tenant' directly about their debt when they live in the same house and the tenant has mental health issues in answering

• fireflyfliesby
      1 month agoReport

Eh, we don't really know that. If we're going on multiple days of non-payment, chances are this isn't the first discussion landlord has had about this. Also, if tenant has a history of erratic/threatening behavior, landlord might be trying to keep communications in writing.

Yes I would, people crazy yo.