Anonymous

Is it advisable doing a Masters?

I have my BA Honours. My parents want me to go back and do my Masters and are saying that it will open more doors for me. Im not sure what to do.

It depends on your program, career goals, and current position. If you are happy with the job you have as a BA, and think that your salary will be sustainable over the years, then there is no need. Or if your career goals have little to do with your educational qualification, then a Masters may once again be unnecessary.

However, there is no harm in studying further, and your parents are right in their own regard, as Masters applicants are usually preferred by employers for managerial positions, and often have higher salaries and greater opportunities for promotion.

Once again, it depends on your exact situation, so you should make your decision accordingly.

Most people say it’s not if you have problems finding work.

I would suggest working and doing the Master's, if possible.  The Master's will definitely give you an advantage but you need to have your foot in the door as well.

• John

It really depends on your own career. In science fields, for example, having a graduate degree is important. Where I live, school teachers with a Masters get an automatic pay raise of several thousand dollars per year. You need to research how having a Masters would impact your own situation.

In which field? How worthwhile it could be depends a lot on requirements in your particular field, and the job market. E.g. going for MBA could be a stupid move! Business degrees are a glut on most markets, and employers only want proven performers - 3-5 yrs of post-bachelor's degree experience with recommendation of employer as prospective managerial-executive talent before proceeding to MBA.

Another consideration is your career goals. Going for a master's degree may or may not align with your particular abilities, goals, talents, etc. E.g. if you ever hoped to work overseas, and you are in a high-tech/STEM field, you need a master's + experience to compete for such positions these days. If you want to teach at college level, you need PhD, master's is not enough. What do you want? Where do you see yourself going?

• drip

In what field and for what jobs? You have a Bachelor degree, you are capable of doing research into this finding out of the time and money for a Masters degree will help your future.

• Laurie

What JOB do you want? You should know that BEFORE you pursue an education. If the job you want requires or benefits from additional education, go for it. If the job you want does not, or if you don’t know what job you want... then, no. Start working and pursue a masters degree only if you decide it is necessary/beneficial.

Are they paying for it? If so, why not? The phrase "open more doors" suggests you don't have the world's greatest job at the moment.

it rather depends on what you propose to get the Masters degree in, doesn't it? And then, what are the unique or improved job/career prospects for people who have one of those?

Do your research. Are you working in the field you want to? Are you at the level you want to be or will you need a Masters to reach your goal? Can you afford to take time out to study? Are you happy where you are? If so, then think about studying in the future. Don't rule it out, but don't study if YOU don't want to. It is your life.