Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

can you oil up the vagina during childbirth so it comes out easier?

well, I was wondering if women can oil up (or lubricate, in some other way) the vaginal hole so that the baby comes out easier with less friction. is this a thing that happens? Or is this not really recommended/practiced?

• Linda

It might help, but no doctor would use it due to risk of infection.

When my wife (who is fairly small) gave birth to my youngest son - he was 10#, 7oz.

The nurses broke out the astro-glide to help deliver him. One nurse commented that she hoped we hadn't bought any newborn clothes.

• Edna

The vagina doesn't need to be 'oiled up" during childbirth. it's already well lubricated by the amniotic fluids. Any "friction" is a natural friction and it's: caused by the baby pressing against the walls of the vagina and the muscles in the vagina stretching, as your muscles are pushing the baby down the birth canal. You would still have that same "friction", even if you "oiled up".

Do not introduce anything into your vagina prior to delivering- ESPECIALLY if your water has broken. Lubrication isn't necessary, it won't help, and pushing it inside could cause a dangerous infection.

My Physician recommends Crisco over the spray stuff.

• MissA

There's generally plenty of fluid present anyway.The issue with childbirth isn't lack of lubrication, it's that the muscles and tissues actually have to stretch.

Use bleach instead. Works like a charm.

• Dze

if we oiled up your rear end do you think it would help us kick a football into it easier ..