Are there any factors that determine what gender a wild turkey will hatch as?

In the area I hunt turkeys, this fall all I have seen are toms and jakes. I have probably seen close to 100 birds and not a single hen or poult. Last fall I saw about 300 turkeys and only 6 were toms or jakes. Of course I didn't see them in one small area and most were spotted when I was driving. Is this just a coincidence or are there some environmental factors that determine male vs. female?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Mainly heat and air moisture.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If the temperature is warm on the day of fornication the bird will be a male 7 out of 10 times.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not many factors buzzing around the YA hunting section. But, if you would settle with an old farmer`s tale or wives` tale then I have a little experience with breeding cows. When a cattle person goes out to purchase a bull believing some bulls are known for producing a higher number of heifers, which if proven, increases the value of that bull if the bull is bought to increase a herd. Also, there`s right the opposite...some want more bulls for the market or to raise for sires and I`m talking thousands of dollars and only one chance per year(normally). It has to do with sperm count...low=male...high=female. There is a way to test but not guaranteed...also chickens and turkeys are AI`d(Artificially Inseminated) but cannot say if sperm high/low count is same for turkeys as for cattle determining the gender. So, I would suggest research AI for turkeys because most hunters will not really care how or where...just shoot, clean, and eat.

• Staap It
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

A friend leased a barn for "Wet Cows" and the newborns. Scabies problem. He asked me to take these eggs out and give ONE to each calf. I asked if I should break them open put them in the feed bowl ? NO ! Just hand them the egg, they NEED the calcium from the shells. COOL we saved those calves.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.