Are there any factors that determine what gender a wild turkey will hatch as?

In the area I hunt turkeys, this fall all I have seen are toms and jakes. I have probably seen close to 100 birds and not a single hen or poult. Last fall I saw about 300 turkeys and only 6 were toms or jakes. Of course I didn't see them in one small area and most were spotted when I was driving. Is this just a coincidence or are there some environmental factors that determine male vs. female?

Mainly heat and air moisture.

If the temperature is warm on the day of fornication the bird will be a male 7 out of 10 times.

• BBean

Not many factors buzzing around the YA hunting section. But, if you would settle with an old farmer`s tale or wives` tale then I have a little experience with breeding cows. When a cattle person goes out to purchase a bull believing some bulls are known for producing a higher number of heifers, which if proven, increases the value of that bull if the bull is bought to increase a herd. Also, there`s right the opposite...some want more bulls for the market or to raise for sires and I`m talking thousands of dollars and only one chance per year(normally). It has to do with sperm count...low=male...high=female. There is a way to test but not guaranteed...also chickens and turkeys are AI`d(Artificially Inseminated) but cannot say if sperm high/low count is same for turkeys as for cattle determining the gender. So, I would suggest research AI for turkeys because most hunters will not really care how or where...just shoot, clean, and eat.

• Staap It
      1 month agoReport

A friend leased a barn for "Wet Cows" and the newborns. Scabies problem. He asked me to take these eggs out and give ONE to each calf. I asked if I should break them open put them in the feed bowl ? NO ! Just hand them the egg, they NEED the calcium from the shells. COOL we saved those calves.