Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 3 weeks ago

Can a positive Tb test be a sign of HIV?

Last year I got tested for HIV and it came negative. I did a Tb test that same year and it came negative. 

I recently got Tb tested again but this time it was positive. I had to do the chest x-Ray which came completely negative. I am a bit of an overthinker and I’m thinking I might have hiv since the Tb test came positive.. and negative the year prior. I might be stupid but I just want to hear an opinion.

Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease caused by bacteria called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The bacteria usually attack the lungs, but they can also damage other parts of the body. TB spreads through the air when a person with TB of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, or talks.

The fact that you tested positive for it is not necessarily an indication that you also have HIV. The smartest thing you could do to alleviate any concern that you have is to get tested specifically for HIV rather than stress out and worry whether you have it or not.