John asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

What is my diagnosis?

I’m a 19 year old male with no previous health problems. I have been suffering from the following symptoms for about 3 months. I’ve been to doctors who seem to think that how I feel is completely caused by anxiety but I know they just aren’t.

I have had persistent “brain fog” for the last three months. Although I have had the feeling of derealisation before (I used to smoke weed occasionally) it is not the same. It feels as if there is a very very slight pressure inside my head.

My vision has become weaker. I recently got new glasses (with an extremely low prescription because my optometrist said my eyes were almost perfect). They help to an extent but if feels as thought I have weaker vision still.

I have trouble concentrating and remembering and have general cognitive problems. I feel as if I am dazed and a slight bit delirious constantly.

I used to have anxiety purely for the reason that I constantly think about my symptoms because they feel inescapable. However I’ve worked through my anxiety and it is no longer an issue.

Sometimes I have a slight ringing in my ears.

From time to time I have “episodes” where I zone out and my brain feels as though it’s melting (The best way I can describe it). I don’t lose consciousness during these events and they happen when I’m alone, therefore I think they may be caused by anxiety.

I have had numerous blood tests with them all coming back perfect.

I would love to receive feedback from someone knowledgable in this area thank you

Best Answer

It appears as if you have one, or two, of the recognised somatoform disorders.

''The somatoform disorders are a group of psychiatric disorders in which patients present with a myriad of clinically significant but unexplained physical symptoms. They include somatization disorder, undifferentiated somatoform disorder, hypochondriasis, conversion disorder, pain disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, and somatoform disorder not otherwise specified...''

''These disorders should be considered early in the evaluation of patients with unexplained symptoms to prevent unnecessary interventions and testing. Treatment success can be enhanced by discussing the possibility of a somatoform disorder with the patient early in the evaluation process, limiting unnecessary diagnostic and medical treatments, focusing on the management of the disorder rather than its cure...''

Somatization disorder seems most likely in your case with an element of hypochondriasis. It's worth taking on board what your doctor has told you as cognitive behavioural therapy can really help in a surprisingly small amount of sessions. It can't make your symptoms worse and if it doesn't help no harm done.

You might have some sort of brain problem, but I dunno, I'm not a doctor.

you need to ask your doctor this question

• Byrd

Hypochondriac comes to mind

• LAN
      4 weeks agoReport

He also keeps posting this same rant over and over under different names. Compare this post to all the other ones that came up in my search for the same keyword he keeps using over and over.