Can you mix sodium chloride and calcium carbonate in water and it be safe as a mouthwash?

As it says on the tin; I know it is pretty much mixing salt and chalk, but I have no chemistry experience, and would rather be the idiot who asks this question rather than an idiot who hurts himself.

Best Answer

NaCl and CaCO3 ....

If you get the NaCl too concentrated you won't like the "burning sensation."  CaCO3 is limestone and is not soluble in water.  You would get more "cleaning" if you just used water.  What's the point of tasting like sea water at the White Cliffs of Dover?

Home remedies aren't all they are cracked up to be, and rarely work as well as a product designed for a specific purpose.  Just buy some mouthwash.

• Donald4 weeks agoReport

Actually the saltwater came from my dentist; he said that a proper saltwater solution is about as effective as commercial mouthwash at disinfecting. The calcium component is because I like to eat many acidic foods, and wanted something to help neutralize the acid after going on a fresh lime blender

It's going to taste nasty and accomplish nothing as a mouthwash, but it will be safe.

i would ask your dentist this question

• Donald4 weeks agoReport

Oh yeah... I should have thought of that, especially considering he was the one who suggested salt water. Thanks!