As a native English speaker, would I have to learn Italian if I wanted to live in Milan, Italy?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Yes if you want to lead a normal life for more than a few months (including work, rent an appartment, make friends, go to the doctor, buy a car...). Not all people in Milan are fluent in English.

• 3 weeks ago

Being an English-speaker has nothing to do with it. Anyone who doesn't speak the local language would benefit from learning it if living there is the plan.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If you want to be more than just the somanieth stupid tourist, you'd better learn the local language.

( I have no idea to what extent the Milan dialect differs from standard-italian)

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes, if you want to fit in.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

To live there? Yes, you would. Absolutely.

• It would probably help you to know some at least. Being in Europe, especially bigger towns like Milan, most people know some English and would be able to help you get around. You would fit in better and be more independent if you knew some Italian, but it's not completely crucial. After living there for a while, you would pick up some of the language regardless.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It would help (it is actually an easy language to learn far more logical than most other European ones). I had Italian clients in the UK who insisted they didn't speak English. Suffice to say they spoke perfect American.

• equal
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

of course, do you want to look a fool, when in Rome have you heard the saying its awfully arrogant to assume Italy will adapt to you

• 3 weeks ago

You don't need Italian to visit there but you would need enough for short conversations and to buy stuff if you are going to live there. People like you to make an attempt to learn their language and will help you if you do. Start with a phrase book, a dictionary  and a basic Italian for dummies book and go from there. There would be courses available in Milan in conversational Italian.

• 3 weeks ago

a lot of people speak english but it wouldnt hurt to be knowledgable of italian

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.