Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Packing & Preparation · 2 months ago

Thinking about moving out soon?

I just turned 19 and I plan on moving out in the summer...around May June . What do you suggest I do to get furniture Like if I were to buy it where would I put everything since I’m living with my mother the apartment is quite small so I was thinking maybe a storage unit or something any ideas? Also moving will be a breeze because my mom is moving around that time so I thought maybe it’ll be the best time to move out I’ll have access to the moving truck and help unloading I’m pretty sure I can make something work 

• Foofa

Figure out where you're going first because that'll impact how much and what kind of furniture you may need.

• drip

Wait until you move. Can you take your bed with you? That is really all you really need immediately when you move in. I wouldn’t waste money on a storage unit.

Hit Goodwill in upscale neighborhoods. Thrift stores. To buy look at Target.

FYI moving is never a breeze. It always takes more time, effort and money than you think it will.

How much furniture do you have at 19? Most 19 year olds are lucky to have a mattress to sleep on. Don't buy anything until you get moved in. Then go to a second hand place, or look for a Habitat for Humanity store. They sometimes have nice couches for very little money.

I'd  be thinking about the thousands I'm  going to need for deposits and your first and last  rent  payments you will almost certainly require to pay upfront.  I'd also   be thinking about the thousands it costs to kit out a new home.

I'd  be thinking about having  a significant and regular source of income to pay for rent, utilities, insurance, food, toiletries, travelling expenses and clothing. 

I'd  be thinking about having 2 references and a decent credit score. 

And finally I'd  be thinking about trying to find a landlord who would be brave enough to rent a property to a 19 year old.