Is it possible to learn to fly a plane after one learns to pilot a helicopter?

I talked to this one pilot a little while ago that said it isn’t possible to fly planes after flying helicopters, but possible if it’s the other way around. He said, “it just doesn’t work in the brain for some reason, just like you can drive a car and then learn to drive a motorcycle, but if you learn a motorcycle first and then try to learn to drive a car, you will have a lot of trouble.” 

This comment really threw me off since I want to go into aviation in both planes and helicopters and don’t know where to start. Is this true or can I learn to fly whatever first?

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

Don't know about learning dificulties, but I DO know that it's much cheaper to get certified to fly a fixed wing aircraft first. That way, you can get all your basic navigation and piloting skills out of the way in an airplane that's less expensive to fly. Once you have that, you don't need as many hours in a helicopter to get your certificate.

Do not know a thing about flying, but I do know that 1000's and thousands of people have learned to ride a motorcycle first and then went on to cars. In my province you can get a motorcycle licence 2 years before an automobile licence, so any kid with money got a Honda motorbike in grade VIII

• FanMan

Not true at all. Learn whatever you want first. But unless you have lots of money to waste (or Uncle Sam is paying), learn to fly airplanes first, it's a lot cheaper.

Learn them in order: airplane, helicopter, hovercraft, air board, hot air balloon.

Oh, yeah, moon lander.

What he told you makes sense to me. Based on what he told you, it sounds as though you should be taking flying lessons first.