How can I tell if the reel to reel tape recorder I inherited is 4 track or 2 track?

This is a Revox A77 machine which I understand is very high quality. I just don't know how to tell if it's a 4 track or 2 track machine.I don't have any tapes to test just yet.

• Me2

Mr. Smartypants correctly points out that the A77 was available with different options.  The 2-track version (referred to as a "half-track" in the industry) and 4-track are distinguished by the heads.  Here's the 2-track —

• Me2
      1 month agoReport

Just do a visual comparison between the picture and your A77's heads (which the tape passes over).  If they match, you have the half-track, otherwise it's a four-track.

The Revox A77 was a broadcast-quality tape machine back in the 70s.  It's stereo, but some are two-track and some four-track. You could tell by looking at the heads.  The recording head  has two areas that record, and they each cover 1/4 or 1/2 of the width of the tape.

The cool thing about Revoxes is that they stop (or reverse) where there's a 'window' in the tape.  You make a window by using acetone on a q-tip to wipe off the oxide, leaving a clear patch.  When the recorder hits this window it will stop.  So you can use this to 'queue up' a tape.  You could have several tracks ready, and each time you hit 'Play' it plays to the next window and then stops, queued to the next track.

It is both 2 track and 4 track capable.

i believe that is a 2 track

Uhsjsjus,iakaoalalaoaoaoa