Do you lose weight faster on low carb / atkins / keto or do you lose weight faster on low calorie?

When I was 21 I lost faster on keto

Now I seem to lose faster on low calorie

Best Answer

These are not mutually exclusive.  A healthy Keto/low-carb weight loss diet has to include calorie management.  Keto "works" for people because:

1. Stops hunger and cravings from the sugar/insulin cycle

2. Provides satisfaction and fullness from good fats, so can lean to consuming fewer calories overall.

3. Helps the body's biochemistry move to fat burning because it isn't getting glucose/glycogen to burn.

All that noted, if you eat more calories than your body can use, ANY food source will be stored as fat.  Younger people with a more active metabolism often don't eat as many calories when they are consuming large quantities of vegetables and the appropriate amounts of healthy fats.  As we age and our metabolisms and activity levels declines, more calorie restriction will be required regardless of the diet you choose.

The right diet is one that you can stick to as a lifestyle, not a crash diet, based on how you feel on the diet, the nutrition provided, your food preferences, budget, and cooking skills.  

It depends on how many calories you are eating. Keto, atkins and any diet works through calorie restriction. People generally feel fuller on keto and atkins and eat less which causes weight loss. 

i cant lose weight fast no matter what i do

In my opinion, a strict (and that's vital) keto diet is faster and more dramatic- say if you want to drop 5 or 10 pounds in a great hurry. But low calorie is healthier.