Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 1 month ago

What's with the weird lyrics of the song Monster Mash?

In that song I hear a lot of lyrics I don't understand.

For instance, I hear them say

"He did the mash, he did the monster mash"

then it gets tricky:

"...the most e-mash, he did a great R smash"

OR this:

"...as long as we're having fun, (binashoop ba woooo), the party has just begun (binashoopbawooo)"

What does this stuff mean?

graveyard smash

• Eva

It's "graveyard smash" not "great R smash"

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobbypickett/monst...

some of the lyrics you got wrong.

the graveyard mash is a dance (in the 50s? there was a dance called the mashed potato)

and the binashoop ba wooooo is something called doo wapp---a style of singing -using syllables- that make no sense.

He did the graveyard smash, if I'm not mistaken. It's been years since I heard it.

The mash is a 60s dance, officially titled the potato mash (clever? nope), and there were variations of it, including the monster mash in which the dancers tried to imitate The Mummy or Frankenstein's monster.

You can read all the lyrics of the original here: https://genius.com/Bobby-boris-pickett-monster-mas...

It doesn't mean anything, just a silly story about this scientist who saw his lab experiment monster get up and dance, and the dance caught on with all the Halloween stereotypical characters.

The lyric is "it was a graveyard smash"

and

"the guests included Wolfman, Dracula and his son"

• KaleyK

There is this new thing called the internet .....It's not that hard to look up lyrics:

I was working in the lab, late one nightWhen my eyes beheld an eerie sightFor my monster from his slab, began to riseAnd suddenly to my surpriseHe did the mash, he did the monster mashThe monster mash, it was a graveyard smashHe did the mash, it caught on in a flashHe did the mash, he did the monster mashFrom my laboratory in the castle eastTo the master bedroom where the vampires feastThe ghouls all came from their humble abodesTo get a jolt from my electrodesThey did the mash, they did the monster mashThe monster mash, it was a graveyard smashThey did the mash, it caught on in a flashThey did the mash, they did the monster mashThe zombies were having funThe party had just begunThe guests included WolfmanDracula, and his sonThe scene was rockin', all were digging the soundsIgor on chains, backed by his baying houndsThe coffin-bangers were about to arriveWith their vocal group, 'The Crypt-Kicker Five'They played the mash, they played the monster mashThe monster mash, it was a graveyard smashThey played the mash, it caught on in a flashThey played the mash, they played the monster mashOut from his coffin, Drac's voice did ringSeems he was troubled by just one thingOpened the lid and shook his fist and said"Whatever happened to my Transylvania Twist?"It's now the mash, it's now the monster mashThe monster mash, and it's a graveyard smashIt's now the mash, it caught on in a flashIt's now the mash, it's now the monster mashNow everything's cool, Drac's a part of the bandAnd my Monster Mash is the hit of the landFor you, the living, this mash was meant tooWhen you get to my door, tell them Boris sent youThen you can mash, then you can monster mashThe monster mash, and do my graveyard smashThen you can mash, you will catch on in a flashThen you can mash, then you can monster mashWah-ooh, argh, monster mash, wah-oohEasy, Igor, you impetuous young boyArgh, mash good, mm, arghMonster mash, wah-ooh, monster mash, wah-ooh