Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 8 months ago

Why is football/Soccer so popular globally?

It’s just skinny weak guys kicking a ball around for 90 mins. BORING! Seems like people follow it because they fear change or will be scrutinised by their peers and family.

Also I am NOT American or Canadian :P

• Lôn
    Favorite Answer

I agree..Rugby (Union and League) is much better.

• Easy point of entry, doesn't require a ton of equipment, relatively simple game.

• Cap8 months agoReport

Doesn’t sound exciting 

• jimmy

It takes far more skill to run and control a ball with your feet than it does to run with a ball in your hands.

• Cap8 months agoReport

No it doesn’t 

• Doc

Well, you can dumb down any sport in such a sense. However, certain lack luster games without goals or creativity can be awfully dull.

I used to play football for years until I grew way too big, so I switched to the other football.  That's the reason I enjoy watching it, it brings back nostalgic memories.

People generally like what they are brought up with. My father and grandfather watched and enjoyed cricket F1 and football and so do I, to each their own I guess.

• .

It requires a lot of skill and practice. There have been a few cases of men who never played American football walking onto an NFL team and making the roster. You would never see that with soccer.

And lots of young people play the game because you don't need a lot of expensive equipment.

But I agree that it's a bit boring because scoring doesn't happen very often.

• Cap8 months agoReport

I don’t have a huge issue with it as such but the tribalism and sectarianism especially in Scotland makes me dislike the sport even more. This is what got me playing and watching Rugby Union/League instead. 

Because people grow up playing it. You don't need a lot of expensive equipment.

• Cap8 months agoReport

Neither does rugby or cricket.