Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

Are there any medications my 12 year old cousin can take to treat his mild autism?

• Lili

There's nothing that will cure or "treat" autism.  It is a permanent condition. Sedatives and perhaps some other medications can relieve some symptoms if they are serious, but someone who is only mildly autistic doesn't really need such drugs.

However, this is not the place to get information about that. Your nephew's parents need to be consulting medical and other experts.

You DON'T need to ask a doctor this question because it is a known fact that there is NO "cure" or medication for autism. The only thing they give for autism is Risperidol which is literally just to sedate kids whose violence is too much for their parents it does nothing to treat symptoms of autism it just sedates hysterical children and people. If he has symptoms of ADHD ADHD meds like Ritalin could help that. SSRIs are pretty useless for these conditions they are just for anxiety and depression. ADHD is genetically linked to autism and they now admit that it's possible to have both.

I was reading U.S. Pharmacist magazine and came across this headline:

"SSRIs Appear Effective for OCD Behaviors in Youths on the Autism Spectrum"

Common drugs used for treating depressions might help alleviate some of the troubling symptoms of children and adolescents diagnosed with autism spectrum

disorder.

SSRIs are antidepressants like paxil, zoloft, lexapro.

• Harvard study https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/two-types-of-drugs-you-may-want-to-avoid-for-the-sake-of-your-brain

• Nathan

There is no cure for autism. You can take some medications to ease the depression and anxiety aspect of it, but that must be prescribed by a psychologist

He could try strong coffee it really helps even if it doesn´t look like it.

"Me and my friends used to feed this girl LSD and we'd lock our arms around her and scream "NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE" and it cured her retardation."

I don't think so but if I were you I would just learn to accept him

you should go to a doctor and have them figure that out. i’m sorry but it all depends on what they think not us.

you need to ask his doctor this question