What s wrong with my car?

It s loud when accelerating and doesn t seem to want to speed up. It was a struggle to get it up to 60, now it doesn t even want to reach 40

In august I had the transmission replaced, not sure if that might be related

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

It could be a number of different things, but when that happened to my car it was time for new spark plugs. 

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Maybe hole in muffler.  That would reduce the HP and the car goes slower.  It is always cheaper to give to a mechanic to assess the problem than change everything in the car.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Remove the O2 sensor BEFORE the cat and tie it up so it doesn't get dragged on the ground.  Then take the car for a drive, if it runs better you've got a clogged cat!  It won't have full power but it will run significantly better.

• M.
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Is your transmission slipping?

Is that what you're hearing, the engine revving up?

Or do you hear loud exhaust system noise?

When a trained person witnesses the symptoms, the situation is much clearer than when an untrained person tries to describe things.

Take your car somewhere and ask.

Maybe the transmission shop?

But beware, if they say the transmission needs work, you'll need to make sure they don't charge you, AGAIN.

If a transmission shop rebuilt your transmission only 3 months ago and it has a problem already, then beware!

Don't bring the car and let them manipulate you.  You need to find somebody who has automobile knowledge to help you deal with the transmission shop.  They gave you a 1 year warranty, right?

It's often helpful if you identify your car for us.  And include the odometer reading.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

If you can handle it...

Remove the O2 sensor BEFORE the cat and tie up the wire/connector so it doesn't get burned of drag on the ground.  Then take the car for a drive.  If it runs better you've got a clogged cat!  It won't have full power but it will run significantly better.

And if your cat has flanges with gaskets then you can change it yourself!

"Are we having fun yet?"

• 1 year ago

Get the exhaust system back pressure checked. It sounds like you have a plugged up catalytic converter.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Not enough information to even venture a guess. I suggest you take it to a trusted mechanic of your choice for diagnosis. 

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Have a muffler shop check for a plugged catalytic converter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.