Would an apt complex accept a student credit card as "credit"...? ?

I'm planning on moving out soon, in Fall of next year. But the only credit card I could probably get then after I get a part-time job would be a student credit card. Because I'm still taking college classes... anyway would they accept that if they need to check my credit score? Because right now I don't have any credit. Even though I don't really want to have one, I know I need to eventually get one to get accepted at a apt anywhere anyways.... Have any of you used and got approved w/ a student credit card? Thanks.

When I rented my first apartment, I had several years of very good credit. But no rental history. That was a concern for them.

I was also self employed and could not prove my income because I was behind on my taxes. I ended up showing them a copy of my brokerage statement showing assets over $20k so they rented to me.

I suspect you will not be renting an apartment without a cosigner who has good credit.

A student credit card with a low balance is not enough to rent an apartment. You also need income of over 3.5 times your rent every month.  Most students parents sign for their apartments.

You do have credit. If you have student loans, then you have credit. If you have any type of credit card, then you have credit.

• NA

They need your SSN to check your credit score, not an actual credit card.

The problem will be your "thin" file because you do not have any credit history at all.

• Judy

Your income from a part time job is VERY unlikely to qualify you to rent in an apartment complex anyway, unless your parents are willing to cosign.

• Eva

Just having a credit card is not a credit score. They check with the credit bureaus, not the credit card company. If you're only working part time, you're going to have a difficult time meeting their income requirement.

Here is a suggestion. If you have a parent with credit card accounts that have existed for a minimum of five years they can add you to the accounts as an authorized user. It doesn't mean that you need a card or actually use the account at all. But it will give you a positive credit score almost immediately. Check out the article at the link below for more clarification.

• David B.
      4 weeks agoReport

Never; what can I say other than your cat has an idiot for an owner?

Highly unlikely. Unless your parents are willing to be on the lease, you are more than likely sol.