Can I over rule a doctor that says “I don’t need surgery” , but I want surgery ?

I tore my PCL 3 months ago the doctor says do Physical Theropy, so I’ve been doing that for a hot minute. My knee isn’t getting better it’s still the same this a lot of pain. I asked my doctor if I can just do surgery he said it should heal on it’s own but it’s been months already I just wanna get it over with. 

Can I over rule him? 

8 Answers

  • 10 months ago

    No you cannot .................

  • 10 months ago

    Get a second opinion 

  • 10 months ago

    If you really want surgery, then I'd suggest talking to different doctors until one agrees that surgery is what you might need

  • 10 months ago can definitely get a second opinion. I have dealt with


    knee injury; so don't give up and put all your effort into doing those pt exercises

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

    What kind of surgery do the think your doctor would be able to do on your knee, that could reduce the pain any more than physical therapy will? 

    About the only surgery done on a knee (other than surgery to repair a broken knee cap or a torn muscle) is knee replacement surgery; and I DON'T think you want that kind of surgery.

  • 11 months ago

    Pretty rare to see a PCL reconstructed. Usually, a brace will do.

    Here is something to ponder.....what if you had this big surgery AND you still had your pain afterwards??

    The last thing you need is a surgery you do not need.

    Source(s): Orthopedic residency.
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

    You can just keeping on seeing other doctors until you will find one who will go along with you

  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

    No, but you can get a second opinion from another doctor. If the second doctor says the same thing, then there's nothing you can do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.