Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 4 weeks ago

how can I train my horse to become a good jumper?

we have recently got a new horse, a five year old appaloosa 15 hands who has a lot of potential to be a good jumper but he only has basic training. I have never trained a horse to show jump before my other hoses have already had experience. I am not Shure how to go about though

• Snezzy

Hire a trainer who will work with you and the horse every week. He must be good enough to teach you training. Each week's lesson should include the "next step" that you will practice for that week. If you and the horse are solid on that step you'll go to the next.

If you do not learn how to train jumping, but try to invent it anyway, you will just ruin the horse. There have been major advances in jump training over the last 125 years, and you should try to find out what has been learned. Investigate Federico Caprilli's work.

Start by free lunging over small cross rails. (Or poles to start) when the horse is comfortable, canter poles mounted, then move to tiny cross rail. Keep in mind, so each step just a littlest bit a day and don’t try more until the horse is comfortable. Work your way up to slighter bigger jumps, and work on lead changes and strides. Set two poles in the arena with a large gap in between, and canter across, experimenting with lengthening and shorting the stride. Count the strides between the poles. 

Start with simple lead changes, dropping to trot and then picking up canter on other lead. Shorten the trotting part until you can switch leads from canter. Once you and the horse have mastered theses steps, you can set up jump combinations and jump higher. Good luck! 

Hire a trainer so you dont experiment with him and turn him into a running out, crow hopping, refusing, confused mess.  Just a thought.

I would suggest building training up gradually. Roadwork for a while and walking and trotting with pole work to get the horse watching where they step. Then walking trotting and hill work. Introducing cantering and working regularly on flying changes and turns, and verticals with poles to introducing take off. Remember it doesn't happen overnight. Most horses are at the height of their showjumping careers when their around 10. Also get him used to competition atmosphere; you can pay to go in and get him used to the arena at some shows.  The biggest important factor is trust. You should only start jumping if you trust each other. Grooming is a way of mutual bonding. Introduce spooky objects gradually so he will feel confident and respect you. I'd recommend the book Perfect Manners by Kelly Marks. She worked closely with Monty Roberts and it's  packed with great training advice. Great trainers have to start somewhere. 

• Amber

I'm not keen on jumping a horse frequently because it's not good for them in the long term if they do it a lot. Especially if the jumps are high ones. 

If you don't know how to do it, then I would recommend not doing it. You'll teach the horse wrong and teach him bad lessons. You'll need to pay an experienced trainer to help. 

• Nancy

It can't be explained in an answer.  My boyfriend trains horses, just finished training an Arabian named Gazela for a lady and her daughter.  He first broke her, though she was already green-broke, and then he trained her in jumping, barrel bending, key hole, and a few other events.  It took him the whole summer.  He just won a local rodeo on her, though, signed her up to see how she'd do under pressure.

Anyway, there are many ways to train a horse, some of them quite cruel. His seems to be quite effective, and he's never cruel.  He'll be firm if they get ornery, but he never uses spurs or whips the horse or even strikes the horse.  He also talks to them a lot and does all of their brushing and hoof-trimming and feeding.  He also starts off training by riding bareback.  It's all about building a relationship with the horse so that the horse trusts him, meaning the horse won't shy and will jump when he says to. 

Kinda sad that you want to turn your horse into a jumper. Animals aren’t clothes.