Can someone read this cursive?

I'm bad at reading cursive. Can anyone tell me what this "R" surname reads? I aquired a 113 year old book and am trying to find out who owned it, just for fun. TIA.

Favorite Answer

I read it as 'Reutz'. The 'e' is very similar to the almost invisible one in the month, 'Dec'.

Is there any more to be seen? It could be helpful to show us the whole inscription.

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

Of the 'n' in 'Marion'. Maybe it really is 'Rentz' as one person suggests. If we could have SEEN the names in full ... !

I think it's Basa Reutz, Dec. 25, 1908.

• Yasmin1 month agoReport

It is Barbara. I didn't feel the need to add that in because I was only looking for the last "R" name.

Bara Rwtz Riutz? You can see that there is more before the bara, but it is better to down play hand writing because all you stupid people need a computer to think for you. I hope the electricity never goes out, or you will start eating your own ****

It's definitely a "t z" at the end. It's hard to tell what the other letters are for sure.

• Marli

Barbara Purdy or Purty?

You might want to ask on a genealogy site. The people there are usually very good reading difficult handwriting.

Ruiz???????????????

• NONAME

thats not cursive...thats gibberish. I see R i i i h...  Sara Riiih

• Nancy

Sara Rentz is what it looks like to me, unless that S is a lowercase B in a name that ends "-bara" but whose first part you've cut out of the picture.

I toiled between it being "Rentz" and "Rintz," but I don't see any evidence of a dot above the letter after R.  "Rietz" is a fairly common Dutch last name, but it clearly has three humps, not two.  The dash by the tall letter is clearly an attempt to cross it, making it a T.  The letter after the T could be a Y, but I'm 95% sure is a Z because to be a Y, the cup of the Y would scoop awfully far below the line of the rest of the letters.