Grandparent's Terrible Driving?

One of my grandparents is a terrible driver (I am being vague on purpose). They don't pay attention to what's in front of them, they swerve all over the road, they will slam down on both the gas and the brake pedal, they have almost gotten into several accidents with me in the car and they blame the "almost accidents" on the other drivers. What do I do? I want to maintain a good relationship with this grandparent but I also really value my life! I can't really call the police on them when I am in the car so I just pray that one catches them. What do I do?

• Edna

Don't ride with your grandparent.

• zipper

One stop riding with her,my grand mother was the same way. Take the keys and car away from her to protect her from herself. There is very little else you can do!

I suggest asking your parents to talk to your grandparents doctor about their driving and see if the doctor evaluate their ability to maintain a license.

And quit riding with them if that does not happen.

My grandpa has dimensia and diabetes really bad. He is 86. His driving has become awful. He is just like you said your are.

I would say it is just about time for your grandparents to retire their license.

Quit riding with them and after they have an accident talk to your parents about taking their license away.

You make up a plausible excuse not to ride with them. You want to walk because you need the exercise. You can't go where they are going because you have too much homework.

Laws vary by state:  in my state, only a member of the immediate family,  the persons physician or a police officer can request that the state police perform a driving skills test.  Not many are willing to take that step and incur "grandpa's" wrath.  It's usually a significant accident that prompts police to act.

It's usually up to the older person's children to take away the keys - or the car - and risk estrangement.

First off never ride in a car with them. Secondly it is not your responsibility to do anything. It is your grandparents children who should address this. Tell your parents how you fell and just how bad they drive. Let them handle it. 

• martin

Don't ride in the car. Tell other family members about this.

• Jim

The family needs to come together and decide to pull the car keys if safety is an issue.

• Edna
      4 weeks agoReport

The family can't "pull the keys" from a licensed driver. Only the DMV or a Court of Law can revoke the driving privileges of a licensed driver; and there has to be a VERY GOOD reason for doing so.