Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

Had sex 1 day after taking plan b?

I took plan be yesterday at night and I had sex again today at night do I have to re dose?

OMG- doesn't anyone read the information that comes with medication? Plan B works by stopping ovulation. If you're already ovulated, it's ineffective. It's a massive dose of hormones and will screw up your cycle for quite a while. Get on some decent birth control if you're going to continue to have irresponsible sex. 

• Edna

No; you don't have to re-dose every time you have sex. If Plan B is going to work, it worked the first time you took it.

Plan B delays the onset of ovulation for a week or more. Of course, it also messes up your menstrual cycle, so you might not have a period at all this month. 

Plan B is NOT birth control and it's not intended to be used as such. It's supposed to be taken no more than 2 times in a year.

Besides, you couldn't afford to take Plan B every time you have sex. That stuff costs about  $50 a pop.

A Plan B pill should be good for 72 hours.

• Edna
      4 weeks agoReport

Not exactly. For Plan B to work, it must be taken within 72 hours of having unprotected sex. If you don't take it within 72 hours, it's useless. 

• alan P

Plan B is not to be used as Plan A.  It is a huge dose of contraceptive hormone.  The daily pill is much more reliable at preventing pregnancy.  Plan B prevents ovulation and possibily also prevents implantation so if you took it a day before having sex you would most likely be OK.  Whatever you do don't take another dose.  If for some reason you can't get the pill or other female birth control then use a condom plus some spermicide in addition to that on the condom.  Buy an emergency contraceptive pill but only use it if the condom breaks or comes off.

• Jim

It makes me mad when I hear of women using Plan B as birth control. Plan B is for emergency contraception only, not for use each time you have sex. 

Plan B isn't supposed to be used as birth control. You don't sound too bright. Did you ever hear of condoms?

Giiiirl

I don’t mean to make you feel bad, but don’t be so reckless.

I don’t think you can take 2 plan bs in such short time.....

Consult with your health care provider 

You should think about other birth control methods. There’s a subdermic implant, it works for years 

plan b isnt meant to be the primary / regular birth control

Info on this can be found at the Plan B website

Will Plan B protect against future pregnancies? 

Plan B doesn’t provide long‑term protection against future pregnancy—when taken as directed it works to help prevent pregnancy after only one incident of unprotected sex. If you are sexually active, even occasionally, see your healthcare professional or visit a family planning center/clinic to find a regular method of birth control that suits you.

Get on some regular birth control. Plan b is for emergencies only. You're harming your system.