Is it possible to play a right handed guitar with my left hand? ?

I’m wanting to start learning to play the guitar but I am one of those people who use some things left handed, some things right handed. However my writing hand is my right. 

When I hold a guitar, I hold it as if left handed people would. Will it still work if I played a right handed guitar? Or are there any guitars that allow both left and right handed guitarists?

Thank you

• Joe
    1 week ago

Anything is possible if you are willing to put in the required work.

Restring it by reversing the string order and play it upside down. Jimi Hendrix did.

Do right handed guitars. You can make it work, you'll just have to practice harder. 

Source(s): nothing
  • Tony B

TommyMc has given a perfect answer - nothing left to say.

Tommymc as usual gave you the best answer with complete detail so I'll make my answer that much shorter. Just learn to play right-handed on a right handed guitar. That's by far the best option. As he said both hands have important tasks to do so you might as well learn to play right-handed on a right handed guitar. Among other things, it gives you a much wider range of guitars to choose from and teaching materials to learn from. 

Good luck and don't forget to get lessons!

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years

Hi Leon.  As a lefty, you have several options on how to play guitar.

1. Play right-handed, I'll discuss this later, but many consider this to be the best option.

2. Buy a left handed guitar.  If you're going to play left handed, this is the best option.

3. Flip a right handed guitar over and re-string it backwards. Can be done, but some modifications to bridge and nut slots must be made.  Pick guard will be in the wrong place, and on an electric, the controls might be in an awkward position.

4. Flip a right-handed guitar over without re-stringing and play it lefty. Very few players do this.  The chord fingering and strumming are backwards and sometimes awkward. Least common option.  You will have a hard time duplicating the sound of your favorite guitarists, but may have a "sound" that is uniquely yours.

Here's the deal Leon. Playing guitar utilizes *both* hands equally.  True, they are performing different functions, but equally complex. Whether you're left or right handed, your weaker hand is going to need a lot of work.  That's why we practice.  There's nothing *natural* about playing guitar, so it feels awkward to everybody at first. Don't confuse that awkwardness with being left handed.  Everybody feels that way. Think about all the instruments out there.  How many left handed pianos do you see?  Instruments aren't left or right handed....they're both-handed. 

What this means is that you can...and IMO should....learn to play a regular (so-called right handed) guitar the normal way.  Think about it....all the complex fingering that we do with our left hands should actually come easier to you.  The majority of left handed players play the same way as right handed players.....we just don't notice them.  I played in bands with a guitarist for over 40 yrs before I discovered he was left handed.  It's just not an issue.

There are additional benefits to playing a so-called right handed guitar.  The selection is far greater.  You can pick up any guitar to try it out. If you play left handed, all the chord diagrams and learning material will be backwards and take some adjustment on your part.  Finally...and IMO most important...what if you want to learn a different instrument later on?  Very few are available in left handed models.  Many can't be reversed or have to be special ordered (expensive). 

So there's my 2 cents worth....get a normal guitar.  Don't even think about being lefty.  It just doesn't matter. If you don't believe me, you can google left handed guitarists who play right handed. 

• atomic fireball
      6 days agoReport

If you’re right handed but play the piano,  especially classical, polyphonic Bach stuff or boogie-woogie bass lines that requires a lot of ‘off hand’ dexterity then that ‘off hand’ has an advantage on the fretboard if you pick up guitar

It is possible to play a right handed guitar upside down, but you will have to figure out different ways to form chords and it will be very difficult. The better option would be to get a left handed guitar or play a right handed guitar the right way. 

You can google for a listing of well known guitar players that play left handed (like Hendrix) and those that are lefty and play right handed. Whatever works for you.

Not really because the strings would all be upside down. The strings go EADGBE from top to bottom with the top string being the thickest and the low one thinnest if you rotate the guitar to play the strings with your other hand the string would then be EBGDAE from top to bottom now the bottom string would be thickest and the top one thinest

You are best off just learning to play with the right hand, I did and most left handers do too

There are left handed guitars but they are much more expensive so that's why you are better just starting right off with right hand, it's not that much different that starting with a left hand.

Good luck!

There are guitars for left-handed people, where everything is opposite. But you could just play it as it is, there are no rules/laws. Or you can switch the order of the strings