Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Could I go to jail for posting stories on social media that have violence and sexual subjects?

I write my own stories for the fun of it. I'm old fashion with the entertainment meaning my stories may have fictional violence and strong sexual subjects. With how sensitive people have become these days I'm not sure if it might be illegal to share those kind of stories 

For now, we still do not practice censorship in the U.S.

• Lili

Plenty of published literature contains violence and strong sexual themes.  Mysteries and thrillers certainly do, and so does much serious literature. You don't notice authors and publishers being arrested right and left, do you?

If you posted explicit (or violent) sex scenes that better belonged on an erotica or porn site, you might be told to go elsewhere by a site owner or moderators, but you couldn't be arrested.  Why would you be?

Now, if you described or advocated in your stories violence (including sexual violence) against living people, or described explicit sex involving children, you would likely end up under investigation. Just describing sex with children has gotten people into some trouble in the past, though again, a site owner or moderator probably wouldn't let you post such material anyway.

Literature is normally allowed a great deal of leeway when it comes to content. In this country, people aren't arrested for it.

However, if I may suggest: since you don't write very well judging by the English used in your question, you really should go back to school and take some English classes. Try reading good literature and paying very close attention to the way the authors write.

maybe ,it depends on the the influence of this on society  ,if you only post obscene video on the social networking site ,and is reposted millions of times ,then you will face serious consequence ,if it isn't ,even if it's misdemeanor ,he may face hefty fine ,don't act impulsively ,when you post your video on the social media ,this will enable more people to be exposed to these harmful information ,their lifes will be affected forever by this actions ,furthermore ,when children watched these explicit video , they may turn to crime to release their sexual appetitie ,and make them more likely to harm people ,these incidents occurred once in a while in our society ,

The story had a disturbing tone, but it wasn't violent. On the contrary, it was a piece of art about the dangers of using Facebook and other social media. It was about the dangers of being "overly sensitive" and afraid to speak up. "In the beginning I tried to get it censored. Then I said **** it," says the student.

"As a kid, I was so into my school and studying. I had a really nice house and I was doing really well in school. I didn't think anything of it," she says.

A year later, however, the student decided to try and get her story removed. The story had been deleted because of a threat of violence against her. She went to the police, who told her they couldn't act because it was a family matter.

• Marli

Do people post stories on social media sites like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter?   I thought the purpose of those sites was to post information and that there were many other sites with the purpose of posting fiction.

Portrayals of sex and violence have not gone out of fashion, but you don't post sex and violence where it is not wanted, or in the case of child porn, where it can be seen and reported to the police.

It depends on the law where you live. In the United Kingdom, for example, it's illegal to distribute material that "is, if taken as a whole, such as to tend to deprave and corrupt persons who are likely ... to read, see or hear the matter contained or embodied in it". This generally doesn't apply to purely written material, though.

Writing about sex, violence, treason, fraud, and such remains legal, but it may violate the rules for posting at whatever site you want to post it to. So read their rules before you get yourself banned.

There are, of course, readers who have no problem with subjects like that, and publishers who are happy to meet their needs, which means they need authors to write the stuff.

• Marli
      1 month agoReport

Writing ABOUT sex, violence, treason and fraud remains legal.  Writing to defraud or to incite treason and violence, or to promote or furnish pornography involving children and persons who did not consent to being the subject of pornography is illegal.

• Cogito

It depends on the rules of whatever sites you post them on.

But if your English usage in your question is a guide to how you've written your stories, I doubt if anyone would want to read them.

I mean - "I'm old fashion with the entertainment"?  Really?

• Lili
      1 month agoReport

Cogito is talking about the fact that your question is not well-written, NOT about what you meant by "old-fashioned".  She is correct. You don't use the English language very well, which suggests that you stories are not well-written enough for anyone of literary discernment to want to read them.

You can get banned from the site depending on what platform it is. But writing simply stories isn't enough for you to go to jail unless you act on illegal thoughts/actions.