Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 4 weeks ago

Do you agree with what a guy told me when I interviewed for an entry level Software Engineering job out of college?

He basically said that since it seemed like I didn't do much programming outside of my classes in my free time, that he had no interest in hiring me.

• Who
    6 days ago

There is nothing to agree or disagree with - you aint gonna get hired and he told you why

thats all there is to it

Why should he hire you who dont appear to have much actual interest in programming against somebody who even in their spare time lives and breaths programming?

(if it were me I wouldnt either and for the same reason)

They think that you are not really all that interested in coding. A lot of these guy live and breath this stuff. It is like being a concert pianist who completed music school, but does not love the music. 

You don't have to agree with him and either do I. He is entitled to reject anyone he wants to, and no experience is a darned good reason. You should be looking for an entry level job. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Well I have serious reservations that you even applied for an entry-level job right outta college since I highly doubt you have 40+ years of experience in astronomy, a certification in rocket science, a residency in brain surgery, a Tony Award, Grammy Award, Golden Globe Award, a Mensa membership and 4 PhD's in aeronautical engineering.

i think he mightve been too lazy to train you

Yes, Ben.......

I think it is something that a person that is unwilling to invest the time in on the job training might say. Certainly, that is their right.

• Damien

well hes saying you took software classes only as a way to get a job and coding is not a hobby u like to do outside of school and hence are not passionate about it.Take me for instance, i was obsessed with building dos batch programs as a hobby, but i thought if im so obsessed with dos which is kintergarden of coding,taking c plus or java programming at school would be too insane for my mind and likely too hard. You do not enjoy coding is the message the employer got, you should had said something like "i love coding at home in my free time, imma obsessed with it"

Go somewhere else to apply for a job.

Sure, I agree with him. But does it really matter ?