Native English speakers ! Do you make grammatical mistakes in your conversations?

Best Answer

Very seldom, but if I do it's because I'm talking fast.

All the time! A lot of slang or informal speech ignores some rules of grammar. In my experience, native speakers generally aren't too worried about misplacing a word or two as long as it doesn't interrupt the sentence flow. It's only when writing, speaking to people of authority, or talking in formal situations that I pay close attention to what I say.

• reme_1

I try very hard NOT to. Once in a while I use "ain't" and I actually choke on it.

I have found myself correcting others. They don't like it.

Hardly ever.  I've always loved words and I burned through the books as a kid -- the Classics.  I learned good grammar by osmosis.

• Dave

All the time. Idiotic utterances can come out of our mouths in our native language, and very often. I do it all the time: broken sentences, restarts, rephrasings because "that's not really what I meant..."  And it can also happen in writing, not just speech, but in writing that isn't well thought through, also ... The man who looked at this issue differently, and saw things productively, did that a century ago; he wrote in French, however. His name was Saussure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langue_and_parole . So you have to understand his usage of two French words, langue and parole, but the concepts aren't limited to French or to any one language really; they are valid concepts for English native-language speakers also. We all *know* what the structures are for good native speakers, that's our 'langue' skill; but we all know the garble that can happen in quick speech and even writing in our native language too. That's 'parole.'   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langue_and_parole. It's enlightening; a quick skim is recommended ....

Since you call yourself 'aspiring writer', another somewhat valuable thing for you might be to be aware of various 'registers' of language and speech. There are different people who have written on this, nobody's perfectly right, but something like this : https://d2ct263enury6r.cloudfront.net/QDBFsZoub0iZ...  is a good thing to be aware of as a writer, at least. Lecture over. ... 

sometimes but everyone does since noone is perfect

• A.J.
      1 month agoReport

noone is the common misspelling of "no one". "Noone" is formed for consistency with "nobody", and also its opposites "anyone" and "everyone", but it is still considered nonstandard because of the doubled vowels creating a temptation to read and pronounce it as "noon"

• A.J.

I'm a well educated older USA citizen and lifetime resident. Very few people are English teaching capable and some rules of grammar are arbitrary. There is a giant leap from grammar and written English into colloquial spoken English. Most English  teaching in Brazil has 7 years of grammar and writing and almost no colloquial spoken English taught. Spoken English has a huge number of idioms, contractions, and many implied words not stated. English words have multiple meanings by context and sometimes pronunciation of a word with the same spelling.  

I don't make grammar mistakes, but the goal of verbal communication is to be understood and efficient.

Q: Whose book is this?

A:  The book belongs to John.

Answer spoken: Johnny's.

Is the one word answer a grammar mistake?

A recent question asked about "get" versus "purchase or buy"

American colloquial English often substitutes get for buy.

"I'm goin' out to get gas. Be back soon." = I am leaving to purchase petrol/gasoline for my automobile and I will return in a short amount of time.

The colloquial statement does not have grammar "mistakes".

With examples, we can discuss them.

I don't use the non-word "gonna", but some people do.

There are also regional differences in English.

In New York City, people wait on line. Everywhere else, they wait in line.

Add - Comment found my flaw of "who's" versus "whose". Everyone is imperfect.

The two are pronounced identically, making English written difficult.

"Who's the guy that owns the book?"

• RE
      1 month agoReport

The old road sign joke was "Eat here and get gas."

Yes, and I also make some "mistakes" purposely in casual conversation.

Edit: Lon, see A.J.'s answer. It's perfect.

• Lôn
      1 month agoReport

Why on earth would you make deliberate mistakes??

• hamel5

I don't think that I do.  Of course, I've spoken and written English at a professional level for years.  And, was raised by a grammar sensitive mother.   

But, when I used to try to speak French - it was another story,  my grammar was a hot mess. 

• oikoσ

Everyone does. Just not as many as I make in other languages. Par example, je parle francais comme une vache espagnole

• oikoσ
      1 month agoReport

You seem to know the literal translation but try a freer one - - I speak French as well as a Spanish cow does.