Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 8 months ago

Is 17 months and counting too long of an engagement?

• .
    Favorite Answer

No. I was engaged for 2.5 years and married for 40.5 years so something must have worked out ok. ;-) Do people still get engaged today? I thought they just lived together, it was called in my day LIVING OVER THE BRUSH. ;-)

• .

in my day and from where I am it's called "Common Law" if your unmarried but living together

Well after 2 years if he hasnt brought up the topic I'd move on.

If by chance you're living together with benefits he may never ask...why would he?

If you think it is, then it is.

Honestly that seems like a long time.  If I was in your family or you were in mine rather I would assume you're not going to get married to this one. I wouldn't tell though...never mess in other's business only on Yahoo.  Good Luck.

• Alan H

Usually not.   Much depends on the circumstances.   Real love is always patient 

Definitely not.  I had made a lifelong commitment to my wife at 19. But we were unable to start a normal married life at the time.  We announced our engagement so that everyone knew our intentions.  Two and a half years later we were married.  Being married was only a small step along the path.  But the time of the engagement allowed for the POSSIBILITY that we might change our mind as we grew.  We didn't change our mind and five decades of wonderful life together has indicated that we must have done something right.

check "Foofa"'s answer...as usual, she's right.  But without learning any of the details,its hard for me to say.

• Foofa

Traditionally an engagement lasts for 12 months. But as long as you're actively planning the wedding and the delay is due to scheduling rather than cold feet that's not the end of the world. It's when "engagements" drag on for years and years that people begin to suspect no wedding will actually ever happen.

Depends. Is it 17 months of a planned period, or is it 17 months without setting a date? If it's the latter, you're probably never going to get married. 

• Helen

No, it's about average.