Spock asked in PetsHorses · 8 months ago

Am I too big for my pony? :(?

My beloved first pony is just under 13 hands. (About 12.3) and he is a lighter pony build. (He’s a mixed breed-possibly welsh) he weighs around 700 lbs. I am 5’ 4” and weigh between 130 and 140 lbs. The pony hasn’t shown any signs of me being too heavy, but I love him to death and so I haven’t been riding him because I don’t want to hurt him. My family is telling me that it’s fine to ride him but they don’t have horse experience so I don’t trust them. I can’t afford another horse and definitely won’t sell my pony, so if I am too big it means I can’t ride at all. What should I do? Am I an okay weight for pony? 

This is how I look riding:

You look a little tall for him, but you're a decent weight for him. 

If you ever outgrow him, please don't rehome him. My friend's pony almost ended up in slaughter. 

Your under %20 of his waight and english tack isnt heavy. He looks fine for you, and he looks like he's in good shape. If he was hurting you would know. I'm 6'1 and most horses I ride look small for me, it's just because of my leg length. As long as your waight is reasonable for their size and mussle mass then height doesn't matter. 

I still ride my childhood horse too. I look like a giant, but we still fit together great! When I get off and untack, out of habbit, I will press on his back and run my fingers down either side of his spine to make sure hes not soure anywhere, but I do that with all of my horses young and old. It's a good thing to keep an eye on.

He's not enjoying the ride 

Ever considered training him how to drive? ps.  he's cute!

• .

You wouldn't be asking this question unless you had serious doubts. I'd say it's ok to walk/ trot and do a gentle trail ride, but your days of galloping around as in this picture are likely over. 

• Snezzy

You already know that you should ask your pony. He'll let you know if he is uncomfortable. Ponies tend to be remarkably strong, and if you'll look at sculpture and drawings showing cavalry of ancient times you will frequently see riders that are "too tall" for their chunky war horses.

When he takes to nipping at your leg as you mount you'll know that you are too heavy, or that he is too old or too weak, or that his saddle no longer fits properly.

• Angel

We had a 12 huh pony at 900 pounds, my son grew to 6'4" and about 220 pounds. He loved riding Bubbles everywhere but at a walk or jog, she was always up by the house, he would go bareback, ride her out to pasture to bring in the big horses. His feet were about 18" off the ground but they seemed to love it and she never scored.

I give a call to your vet, they know your pony best and if she has any arthritic problems etc. our 1800 pound Percheron mare cannot take any rider because of the degeneration of her shoulders from an old injury, she's pretty much a pet and we use her for the scouts to learn how to groom a horse, she's bomb proof and adores the attention.

Sorry can't be more help, out vet tells us ponies can take more weight. Per pound of their body weight than a horse can. A900 pound pony can take half again what a 900 pound horse can because their bone structure is denser, but it does not apply to all breeds. Not sure on Welch.

• Eva

Your weight is fine, but you are getting a bit tall for him.

• Spock8 months agoReport

Thanks. I come in just under the 20% rule, but I feel like I’m to tall. What should I do?

Here’s another pic (with tack)

Can I have a pony as well?

• Snezzy

Inside every lady regardless of her age is a five-year-old girl who wants a pony. And she wants it NOW!