Drop out of high school at 16?

School is very stressful for me, I have a variety of issues which make my everyday life challenging and i need to focus more on my health right now than the drama and pain that is high school. I know education is important, but I plan to finish out this year, get my GED, go to community for two years and then transfer to a public college (my state has the two year guaranteed acceptance law). I know I should stay in school but if I have a solid plan and can find work at Chick-Fil-A or something until I finish college, I don't see the harm. Any advice/criticism? open to all of it.

Forgot to say that I am aware that your have to have a certain GPA for the two year guaranteed acceptance law to apply. :)

Haha, also forgot to mention I have been medically diagnosed with several disorders, I'm not just being difficult.

• Kyle
    Best Answer

as long as you do it while you're young, have a plan, and stick to it.  it's your decision.  assuming you've talked with your family and you have a support system.

why is school stressful to you?  is it the classes?  the people?  the activities?  talk to a counselor.  figure out why it's stressful and see if you can take other classes and join other groups that will still let you graduate on time.  if needed, take less during the school year and a class or two in the summer.  there's nothing wrong with that.

"drama and pain that is high school".  unless you are medically diagnosed with depression, being physically bullied and not reporting it by students /or faculty, you should stick with high school.  it will be harder if you stop now and try to complete it later.  we all get stressed in high school.  some adjust to it easier than others.  that's why you need to talk to a counselor and go over your options that will still let you graduate on time.  you have two years left.  even if you graduate with D's and C's, you still get a diploma, still can go to community college (it won't be easier than high school, you still take college level classes), then finish at a public college to get your degree if desired.

maybe just get a two year degree.  there are tons of jobs you can do with just an associates degree.  look online for jobs with a two year degree, and also talk with your counselor on jobs in demand. 

figure out other paths.  college isn't for everyone either.  you can enter the work force - sales, inside sales, customer service, logistics, administrative service, are some fields you can enter with limited education and experience and just work your way up.  some temp agencies will help you find jobs in those areas too.  see whats in your area. 

the military is an option.  they have hundreds of jobs that aren't all combat or infantry related.  if you aren't medically disqualified, that can be a viable path.  it's four years long, you get paid training and experience to build on.  they train EVERYONE at a even level in each job.  pass the ASVAB, basic physical, you're in.  

• Kyle
      4 weeks agoReport

then you know what's best for you.  i still think dropping out is a last resort.  plenty of people have graduated while being diagnosed with various issues.  you just have to figure out how to do so with the support you need.  good luck.

Hell no! You'll end up homeless. Its just two more years dont be a bich

• drip

If you can’t take the stress what makes you think going to college at a younger age is going to be a good thing? 

You don’t get a GED, you need to take and pass all sections. Have you done any research on the exam? How well do you know the material

How do you do academically? 

Will you be able to keep or get a job with no HS diploma or GED at your age? It could take you awhile to get your health in order and pass the GED exam. Check requirement to be hired at your age.

Can you handle a full load at college plus working? To transfer you will  need at least 2.0 gpa.  

Research the GED. Get a study guide book on amazon.     Talk to your doctor for help. Get a therapist so you have someone professional to talk to. And help you through the school year

• Zeke4 weeks agoReport

i know how the GED works, thank you though :)

Don't do it unless you are being tremendous bullied

• I would see your doctor and get accommodations from them and give them to the head over the school who inthereof would give you permissions that other students don't have like longer due dates, longer studying time, extra time with a tutor. 

Your plan is feasible, and I know people who have done it.

But passing the GED test is not easy, don't kid yourself.

Also, your generalization about a two-year-community college-guaranteed-transfer troubles me.  That guarantee only kicks in if you keep your GPA above a certain level. You are responsible for meeting all the requirements. If you think you are self-disciplined enough, go for it.

• Zeke4 weeks agoReport

of course, forgot to mention the GPA part in my question. will update it.

Go for it, don't blame us if you never go back to school and get stuck in dead end jobs for the rest of your life.

• Zeke4 weeks agoReport

haha, i wouldn't blame strangers on the internet. just wanted a general opinion.

• Henry

I've never heard of that law. It may not exist in Michigan.

• .

It's generally not a good idea.  But when I was in community college, I knew a young lady who got pregnant as a high school sophomore.  She dropped out, got her GED, and finished an associate's in nursing at age 18.  She then transferred to a nearby university and got her RN degree.