Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

How can I rent an apartment with bad credit ? ?

I have never rented before and my credit is bad due to a few hospital bills and collection accounts and I was never taught the importance of credit but now in my early twenties I’m trying to fix it now  . I also had late student loans that went into “collections” however I paid those all off this year so I don’t owe anymore student debt , I just have about 2,500 worth of debt and 3 accounts are medical bills and the other 3 accounts of small things that weren’t paid . But the student loans are closed but paid off. I’ve been working on my credit this year and it has definitely improved but it’s way too low to rent , especially not having previous rental history . What are my options? I am currently still working on my credit and it’s going up 2 points every other week but I need a place very soon. I’ve searched “no credit check apartment/houses” but it still directs me to places that do credit checks .

find an individual landlord instead of a conglomerate

Very few places will because so many have been burned. Some may....with an excess deposit for a few months rent in advance.

Maybe you could move in with someone who has good credit?

Or maybe get a cosigner?

You shouldn't have to have been told about credit. Good character should dictate good behavior and not ripping off people. Renting after what you have done won't be easy. Landlords know that if you don't have the money to pay off your debts, then you aren't going to have the money to pay your rent. Get a second job for a while and work your butt off to repay your debts. Eventually, your credit will improve and you will at some point be able to rent a place.

The fact is you're going to have problems with a poor credit score with many landlords.

Go to places that don't say whether or not they do credit checks, and hope you get lucky. Do not search for places that say that they don't check credit.

• Know What's On Your Credit Report. Check your credit report before you start apartment hunting so you know what's in your credit history

Look for Rentals That Don't Check Credit

Get Recommended

Have Steady, Provable Income

Have A Co-Signer

Be Prepared to Pay More Upfront

• Judy

You won't be approved at an apartment complex. Try small independently owned places.

• Henry

You don't do that.