How to have my own WiFi?

Okay so, my WiFi sucks. I don’t know if it’s because it’s old, not wired or has a lot of devices on it. Either way, I’m tired of lagging and getting disconnected from just about every game I play. I’ve tried figuring out how to make my PS4s connection Nat type 1 instead of type 2 but I just can’t put it together. Step dad swears wired is no different than wireless and will not allow me to run an Ethernet cord 7ft to the router. Parents don’t understand or care because everybody in the house uses WiFi for mobile games, social media or Netflix/Hulu. Surely it won’t be a problem if I get my own, right? Basically what will answer my questions is a list, I guess. All I know is have my own internet provider and a router and/or modem??? Not sure about this stuff.

• 1 week ago

Buy a modem and use it.

Step one: Get your own ISP provider. either DSL or cable.

Gaming needs bandwidth speed, means the fastest the provider offers.

See you get a late model router that supports this speed. If you don't use cat 6, you will need 802.11 AC for the speed to handle gaming.(secure that part)

Got 5G wireless in your area, a WiFi hotspot may be your ticket.

Yea, a couple people on the same WiFi will load down the bandwidth, especially streaming video. If that overloads your present ISP, an ethernet connection won't help.

• Lv 7

if you have your own internet provider, they will give you your own router, and you can set it to forward the port for your PS4. then you will get NAT1, and they won't affect your internet speed.

• Pete L

Isn't that strange,the only way to get your own WiFi is to marry a woman. But you must already be married as you said yours sucks!

• BigE

You have to figure out if it is wifi or the ISP.   There is a big difference between wifi and wired. Wired is designed to as fast as possible because it is does collision detection, meaning it stuffs things on the wire until there is a problem. WIfi cannot do this, it negotiates for free air time, avoiding collision.  This means latency (small packets) go faster on wired.

The only way to figure this out is to TRY wired.  If it performs the same, your ISP is slowing you down. If wired works better, it was the WIFI.

You can deploy your own WIFI without an ISP if the ISP is fast enough. You buy a  broadband router and configure a different SID. Then you plug it in from a port on your old router to the WAN side of the new router.  So your router is just a client of you old router and your box is the only WIFI client.  This only solves things if your ISP speed is not the culprit.

"NAT Type 1" means that you are connected directly to a modem, with no router in between. So running an Ethernet cord will not help you accomplish that. There is NO performance advantage of having a "type 1" connection over type 2.

Yes, if you wanted "your own Wi-fi," you would get a router and modem and connect them to an ISP.