Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

Why do people judge others on their job so bad without knowing why they have that job?

I'm a cleaner and there are people who won't even speak to me or treat me like I have no intrinsic value just because of my job. They assume that I never ever worked hard in my life, that i did nothing.

But I did try very hard in secondary school. I made it to college and university. It's in university that I started to get health problems and DEPRESSION and because of these two problems I lost all my motivation and felt like there was no point in living. So couldn't do uni anymore. Took some months to sort my health problems and depression improved a bit and so I had to take any job I could find.

• C
    Best Answer

You're in the UK, aren't you?  I feel for you because whatever people may claim that it's not really that bad there are an awful lot of people who see cleaners as the one group they can belittle to take out their own frustrations.  Oh, I know and the stories I can tel....  Amongst many jobs I did at Uni cleaning was one of them, not only that but I became the office manager and got to hear why some cleaners flat out refused to return to certain clients and I don't blame them.  It's worse if you have to wear a tabard, if you look like you could be maintenance it keeps some people in check.  I made the tabards optional because some old ladies had made them part of their identity and wouldn't be parted from them, but everyone who went the discretely logoed polo shirt route reported better treatment.  What can I say? humans suck at times.  It's not all in your head, luckily we're not all terrible and occasionally rather wonderful.

I can't promise that it's going to be easy, but please don't think that this is all there is and that this is all there will ever be.  I'm sorry for everything that's happened to you.  I hope that you're getting treatment and that more opportunities will come your way as you feel more able to grasp them.  Life is long with many twists and turns and it's only when you're older looking back that what you thought was only one road to get to your destination was actually a complicated plait of twisting paths - there's always more than one way even if you sometimes have to backtrack and strike out on what seems like a diagonal.  

You got accepted to uni and that's still not a small thing.  When you're feeling up to it find a non-job centre CV/ interview practice workshop in your area.  They can be much more helpful than you think and try your luck with some temping.  Since you're just starting out the jobs won't be that great (this is where early morning cleaning jobs can be a lifesaver to keep you afloat) but you will begin to make contacts and those count for a lot still despite how digital we've supposed become).  It's easier to think about the future once you feel more secure in the present.

Best wishes.

I feel you.  I know it is hard but you have to be proud of yourself of what you have become.  Start looking at all the positive things in yourself and only that.  I know it is hard to do but you need to do this so you can love yourself more.  Don't think about what others think and be more conscious about what you think about yourself.

Because its uncool if ur not a nurse doctor engineer etc... nerdish but wht evr

we should  help  others and try not to judge  others 

They don't for the most part. You may find one jerk who laughs at you behind your back but most people don't have any interest in talking to anyone. They have places to go and things to do. However there is that one dick who chats up the bus driver, the janitor, stays late to annoy the teacher, talks at Cathy about bleeding from the rectum while she's on the phone with a customer. Screw that guy. We all hate that guy.

Nobody thinks or cares about you enough to judge you, which I wonder if makes you feel worse than if they did. You and everyone else are scenery in our movies. The human mind makes itself the protagonist. You are the janitor I pass on my way to throw money at the cashier and then I'll call the plumber. I don't give a crap anything about any of you things. I have no time or interest in judging you.

Like I said, the mind is it's own protagonist. The only person who bothers to think about you is you. Therefore you are the only one judging you. Like you said, you ended up working there after some problems and you're not happy about it. You are judging you as a low-class POS. You are correct about one thing; you have no intrinsic value to anyone else but you. And it seems you choose to not have said value to yourself.

I respect cleaners, without them we would fall apart. I hate to see how people walk pass them and treat them like they do not exist. Its amazing how cleaners would appreciate a simple gesture form you. Two times I had cleaners cleaning when I was standing or walking pass them, I did not want them to clean under my feet so I helped them, the look on their faces really hit me, cleaners too get accused of stealing more than any other profession, even though they are the least person to steal. I feel like cleaners are the most genuine out of all jobs, they would smile and greet you when they truly mean it they wont fake being nice. So yeah personally I think cleaners are better than all the other jobs employees. 

Our universities have a big problem because many have forsaken the Lord God.  Stress, anxiety, depression are products of FEAR.  Fear of failure, fear of not measuring up, fear of losing, etc.  Demons walk to and fro in universities without God. The spirit of fear is a demon.  There doesn't seem to be any moderation in college.  Too much knowledge can make the body ill.  Just as too much of anything can make the body ill.  We can't cram the mind with ungodly things and expect the mind to function correctly.  

Im so happy I never cared.

• Sal*UK

Frankly its none of their blasted business..  You are out there doing a job, paying your way and contributing to the economy. 

• Sandy

you don't go to work to make friends. you go to work to work. so just do your job well. Knowing that, is what builds your self respect, self esteem and confidence. then use those things to make friends. and pick your friends like you pick your fruit.