Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 4 weeks ago

If using a shared washer/dryer, how to protect baby clothes from previous user detergent residue? Is making sure tray clean sufficient?

fritzfritzfritz

There is no way to prevent it, unless you run it through an empty cycle first with some kind of antiseptic in it. That's why I don't like H.E. clothes washers. They don't rinse well.

If you don't have to pay for it, run a delicate cycle load with nothing in it on the high water setting. Stop it after the it drains and reset.

Nope. In a shared laundry situation you are going to get residue. It will be all over inside the machine.

If you're sharing laundry facilities in an apt building, absolutely A) take pix with your phone of the built-up gunk & any other cleanliness issues & B) take those pix straight to mgmt to demand maintenance get in there & start cleaning NOW. I did that. More than once, since my bldg had a revolving door of mgmt & maintenance. Seals on one washer were moldy in addition to gooky stuff in/around the designated holes for detergent, fabric softener, & even bleach. If you can afford to do a load of nothing, pour vinegar down all the holes. But you should not be the one cleaning the laundry facilities; that's maintenance's job.

If you're sharing with a relative/friend, unless they're getting up there in years & have a hard time cleaning, let 'em have it about how sloppy they're being. Nicely, of course..."Could you please do_____ when doing laundry? I'm concerned about the baby's clothes..."

maybe you can get your own washer and dryer

• martin

It should be sufficient, if the machine isn't terribly dirty. You don't want to clean the machine with any powerful cleanser like chlorine, which may be poisonous. Vinegar is a safe cleanser for babies.

I was also going to suggest the double-rinse option. But the detergent you use should wash out all traces of the previous detergent, and then rinse out itself.

• Scarlet4 weeks agoReport

I mean, I had a long, full-sized dresser in that bathrm. Fit btwn tub & toilet with rm to spare. Could easily have got in washer/dryer. Sucks to deal with communal laundry rm. One tenant was in wheelchair & wore diapers. If she soiled her clothes, her aide would toss 'em in, poop included. Yuck.

• Kenny

Does the washer have a double rinse option ?  Use that or just rinse them again .